Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zbrush Displacement Not Working

Hi all,

I am trying to render some animal sculptures with V-Ray for the first time, and am using 32bit exr displacement maps that I extracted from zbrush. I setup a new lookdev project and scene, and was following the steps given to me in my previous post. For some reason the displacement is not showing. I created a new scene to test with Arnold quickly, and can confirm that the maps in fact work.

In the following screenshot I have done the following:

1. Import model
    2. Create VRayMtl
    3. Create VRay Rectangle Light
    4. Select model and create Subdivision, Subdivision and Displacement Control attributes
    5. Select model then Create > V-Ray > V-Ray Displacement > Apply Single Displacement
    6. Render

Not sure what I have done wrong, but, the displacement isn't viewable. Using these same methods in another test file with tiling fabric textures, the displacement works. If I add a noise into the displacement attribute, it will work on this creature. It appears to not like this map for whatever reason.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Click image for larger version

Name:	VRAY_ZDISP.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1200415
    Attached Files

Ok, I have an update. I discovered that V-Ray doesn't like me scaling up the model. The displacement appears to load if I try rendering at the default scale. The moment I increase the scale, it disappears. I tried to dial in the intensity, which works, but it looks like the mid value is changed as parts of the displacement map are not visible.

Comment

Mind if you send us the scene along with the assets so we can troubleshoot?
      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post
        Mind if you send us the scene along with the assets so we can troubleshoot?
        Hi there. Thank you for your reply. I have just sent my support request. Thanks and I look forward to hearing back from you and your team!

Comment

Hi everyone. I am still communicating with support, but I have an update and was wondering if anyone could possibly help. Displacement from Zbrush still does not work. Support suggested that V-Ray only reads from 0 - 1, no negative values. I've done the default map extraction settings with a mid value of 0, (the V-Ray docs suggest to do this). The results leave the negative values not present. So I tried exporting with the mid value at 0.5, which results in massive over inflating. Adjusting the alpha offset to the file node yields no results. I cannot remove the inflation.

I'm wondering what I am doing wrong here to get this working with V-Ray? If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 10.46.14 AM.png
Views:	68
Size:	541.2 KB
ID:	1200782 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 10.50.00 AM.png
Views:	67
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1200783

Comment

you need to enter the negative value in the explicite attribute.
            https://www.artstation.com/damaggio

Comment

Originally posted by damaggio View Post
              you need to enter the negative value in the explicite attribute.
              Where does this need to be done? I have attempted this in the file node, which I always do with Arnold, and it doesn't appear to change anything. Thank you for your assistance.

Comment

Name:	Vector_Displa_UDIMs.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	735.3 KB
ID:	1200803 Check these settings...
                https://www.artstation.com/damaggio

Comment

Working...
                X