Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irradiance map + light cache // prepass flicker

hello.

i'm trying to render an interior scene with moving objects. i have calculated/rendered the sequence in animation prepass mode -- with irradiance map for primary bounces and light cache for secondary (see attached image for settings).

however, in my final renders, i'm experiencing a bit of flickering and cannot isolate the cause...

if i calculate/render the sequence in prepass mode with irradiance map for primary and brute force for secondary, i do not get any flickering -- however, the render times shoot up significantly...

any ideas on where i'm going wrong?
    Attached Files

Not enough subdivs for the lightcache,

Make one big lightcache map if its a camera flythrough.... Also turn Detail on, for edges that can flicker.

(i'm still more fan of the brute force method, mainly cause deformation always works with it)

O.

Comment

hi Oliver,

thanks for your response. to clarify, should i add more subdivs for the irradiance map (primary bounces -- currently set to 50) or the actual light cache (secondary bounces -- currently set to 1200)? in the meantime, i'll try another test with more subdivisions for the lightcache.

also, i'm a bit confused about one of your suggestions:
      "Also turn Detail on, for edges that can flicker."

will turning detail on add to the flickering? i'm trying to eliminate it if possible.

my scene has moving/animated objects. i prefer brute force as well, but the sequence is around 1500 frames and each frame takes about 30 minutes to render with brute force -- it would take about 5 weeks to render using that method, so i'm investigating other solutions...
      Last edited by thestza; 19-05-2010, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Your subdiv on the lightcache,

Try 2000.

The "detail on" will remove flicker on edges... Trying to make your render better

Your irradiance is fine at 50....

O.

Comment

thanks Oliver -- running another test this evening...

Comment

Working...
          X