Proxy or Reference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxy or Reference?

So what are the benifits of using a vray proxy over a maya reference file, in what instance would you implement one over the other?

Thanks

Originally posted by stezza View Post
    So what are the benifits of using a vray proxy over a maya reference file, in what instance would you implement one over the other?

Thanks
    If you have a library of models, it would make sense to use the references...you can use referenced files that have proxies in them. I do this for car models in Arch Viz renders and foliage.
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I thought you couldnt have multi materials on one proxy model. If a car has 20 materials applied to it and you export it as a proxy, when you import it, the material is a defauly grey and none of the original materials are connected.

Comment

No, try creating a Maya ascii file ie "car_proxy1.ma"- inside this file have the V-Ray proxy car with 20 materials applied to it.

Then in your master Maya scene reference in the "car_proxy1.ma". It should work this way. Then you have a master library of cars on the server or whatever. Tweak the shaders in the car_proxy1.ma file and all other files are updated because it's all references, it makes setting up scenes really quick when you build up a library this way.

I use LayoutTools to manage all my references.
        Maya 2020/2022
        Win 10x64
        Vray 5

Comment

So basically you have 3 elements for a rendered proxy scene. The vrmesh, the maya scene file with the proxy itself which them you reference in your final Maya scene file. Got it!
          Many thanks for the tip with LayoutTools, I never know about that, I'm putting into practise now....Cheers!

Comment

No problem, I found this way is the easiest to work with for a single freelancer situation.
            Maya 2020/2022
            Win 10x64
            Vray 5

Comment

Working...
            X