• Show
Clear All

• backscatter on SSS2 skin shader?

Click image for larger version

Name:	sssCompare.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	872891
    I'm comparing the skin shaders in vray and mental ray, and am having a hard time creating the backscatter on the ear (see above). As you can see, I'm getting a trasclucent skin color (as if the head was ivory), and not the blood-red color I would expect to see there.

Comparing the shaders two we have:
    MR Fast Skin Maya / Vray SSS2
    diffuse / diffuse
    epidermal / sub-surface
    subdermal / scatter
    backscatter / ***

So while in MR there is a parameter for the backscatter, there is no equivalent in the vray SSS2 shader. Given that, how would I get the vray shader to produce similar results on the ear?

Let me add that increasing the prepass rate does seem to improve this, but I am still not getting the red back scatter I would like to see.
    Last edited by sharktacos; 21-04-2011, 02:03 PM.

Based on the Scale parameter and "Scatter Radius" in the SSS2 shader. Make it larger.
    Colin Senner

Comment

Originally posted by MoonDoggie View Post
      Based on the Scale parameter and "Scatter Radius" in the SSS2 shader. Make it larger.
      Thanks, that's was a good tip. Actually tho, what worked was making the scale smaller. Here's a comparison again (all with a prepass of 1):
      Click image for larger version

Name:	sssScale.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	844006

I do wish that in a future version that we could have individual "artistic" control over the back scatter and subsurface effects like in the MR shader.
      In particular here, I would like to have the terminator on the face be more orange, while the back scatter on the ear would be crimson. I can of course achieve this with maps now, but having that added control would be nice.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sharktacos; 21-04-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Best way to do it is with the scatter radius, don't get too much scatter on a face, it's a simple mistake to make and it looks like they're made of wax. There's a couple threads on the forums about SSS2 shader that people have done (myself included). You can control the backscatter color by changing "Sub Surface Color" and "Scatter Color".
        Colin Senner

Comment

Originally posted by MoonDoggie View Post
          Best way to do it is with the scatter radius, don't get too much scatter on a face, it's a simple mistake to make and it looks like they're made of wax. There's a couple threads on the forums about SSS2 shader that people have done (myself included). You can control the backscatter color by changing "Sub Surface Color" and "Scatter Color".
          Right, I get all that. What I am saying is that the way the shader is designed it is not possible to change the scale/scatter radius of the back scatter without simultaniously changing the scale/scatter radius of everything else. Likewise, the color of the back scatter cannot be controlled independently of the overall subsurface color. I miss that flexibility, and would prefer to be able to have the option of tweaking them independently if desired.

Comment

Couldn't you map it?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffG2 View Post
              Couldn't you map it?
              yes exactly. You can paint a scatter radius map.
              Dmitry Vinnik
              Silhouette Images Inc.
              ShowReel:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Working...
              X