DR on different OSes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR on different OSes...

Hello. I have a master machine iMac running Mac OS X. I also have a slave machine running Windows Server 2008. Is there any way to make V-Ray DR from PC sees textures on Mac?

Thanks...
    Ivan Tiunov
    Red Screw + Production

vlado would tell you to set up the vray environment link on your PC, but i've yet to get that to work properly. mostly because i don't quite know how to do it correctly. (if someone could make a tutorial for this, it would be very helpful to mac users). if your PC is a linux machine it's very simple; just make an alias in the root of the linux machine's system that refers to your shared folder on your mac like this

/Volumes/yourmachine/sharedfolder/

here's a solution that may work, but i haven't tried it:
    http://averpil.com/fredrik/articles/...iple_platforms

it's maya specific so vray.exe probably won't read files via maya in that way...
    Last edited by hellobard; 20-06-2011, 04:06 AM.
    /Bard
    www.hellobard.com
    Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) - Motion graphics artist

Comment

Thanks. Here is some thoughts:
      1) dirmap is only for Maya internal use...
      2) there is no system utility to map paths from different platforms...
      3) it'll be good to implement path maps in V-Ray Standalone...
      Last edited by iTiunov; 20-06-2011, 08:29 AM.
      Ivan Tiunov
      Red Screw + Production

Comment

For the moment, you can use the VRAY_ASSETS_PATH environment variable to list folders where V-Ray should look for textures.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thank you. I'll try this.
          Ivan Tiunov
          Red Screw + Production

Comment

It works...
            Ivan Tiunov
            Red Screw + Production

Comment

good to hear!
              could you please help the forum out and give a step-by-step guide as to how to do this?
              perhaps this could be added to spot3d.com too? a lot of mac users aren't typically as tech knowledgeable in terms of setting up windows systems, so it would be very helpful...
              /Bard
              www.hellobard.com

Comment

First mount the shared folder from the network on Mac machine.
                1. Create a folder - open a terminal and use the command such like this:
                mkdir /Volumes/<Share Name>

give the privileges such as:
                sudo chmod 777 <Name Of File>

2. Then to mount the created folder to the shared directory use the command :

/sbin/mount -t smb smb://usernameassword@172.0.0.0/<Share Name> /Volumes/<Share Name>

To add an environment variable in MacOSX you need to follow these steps:
                1. Open a terminal window and put the following command:

export VRAY_ASSETS_PATH=”/path /to the textures/”

This will persist for the current log on session. If you log off you need to add it again.

2. If you need to set the variable permanently, you need to open and edit V-Ray configuration file “profile” (or “profile.d”) in /etc directory. Just add at the bottom of file this row :

export VRAY_ASSETS_PATH=”/path /to the textures/”
                This should set this variable each time when you log on.
                Best regards,
                Zdravko Keremidchiev
                Technical Support Representative

Comment

a thousand thank yous to you, Zdravko!
                  /Bard
                  www.hellobard.com

Comment

does maya have to be installed on a machine i only want to use for DR rendering?

Comment

cdavis: No, you need only V-Ray Standalone
                      V-Ray developer

Comment

hi, so.. I need some help , i've been using a mac as a slave for a while now and successfully managed to enter the "VRAY_ASSETS_PATH="path etc" technique in a terminal , to tel vray where it can find assets if they aren't initially where it expects them to be.

now... i've recently now got another PC available to me to use as a 2nd slave, but on entering the VRAY_ASSETS_PATH "suff etc. " in a V-Ray standalone command prompt window , i get a message saying "VRAY_ASSETS_PATH" is not recognised as an internal or external command"

please could someone point me in the right direction, ? .... i realize that there is a check box in vray 3.1 (maya) that allows the "transfer missing assets" option but i'd like to use the VRAY_ASSETS_PATH option .

kind regards
                        Guy

Comment

Can explain in a bit more detail what exactly are you doing? To set an evironment variable on the Windows command line, you should use the set or setx commands:
                          Code:
                          set VRAY_ASSETS_PATH=path/to/textures/do/not/add/quotes/in/the/path
                          Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                          X