Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray standalone flags

Hi,

I have been searching the Docs and the forums looking for a complete list of all the command line flags for vray standalone with descriptions/examples of usage.

If i run vray.exe -help I can see the list but wondering if there was anymore info on them.

Many thanks,

Richard

We do have some documentation, but it is not much more than what is listed by V-Ray standalone when you run it without parameters. Are there particular options that you need examples for?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado.

I just want to get a better understanding of what can be controlled at a command line level so I can tweak our Render Manager (Deadline) Vray submitter.

By default Deadline submits this command:

Code:
      [B]-scenefile=[/B]"X:\vrayTest\MAYA\vray\test.vrscene" [B]-interactive=0[/B] [B]-display=0[/B] -frames=1 -numThreads=0 -imgFile="X:\vrayTest\MAYA\RENDERS\test.exr" -imgWidth=7216 -imgHeight=5412
      What is interactive mode? This is not RT is it? Because there is a seperate command to enable the RT engine -rtEngine.

Also it seems that the file that renders has a frame padding applied to it. The file render test.0001.exr. However it is not an animation and in Maya I did not check Animation in the Vray Common settings.

Does the fact that deadline uses the -frames command mean that vray will automatically assume it is an animation and add that to the saved file?

I will start playing with the commands locally on my workstation later to get a better understanding.

Many thanks,

Richard

Comment

When you have “-interactive mode” option enabled it allows you to edit V-Ray render settings interactively along with .vrascene submission. It opens V-Ray Render Settings Editor window where you can add or change the current settings of .vrscene file.
        “-rtEngine” is the V-Ray RT option that specifies if you render with CPU or GPU engine. Please note that you need to specify the value of “3” if you want to render with GPU engine (e.g. “-rtEngine=3”)
        With regard to the second question of the “–frames” option: If you render with Deadline it adds the "–frames" option by default and you need to specify even a frame in the submission window dialog.
        Best regards,
        Zdravko Keremidchiev
        Technical Support Representative

Comment

Great thanks Zdravko.

When using the -frames option, is there a way to stop it from outputing a frame padding when it writes the file?

Thanks,

Richard

Comment

For now this won't be possible, but we make a note about it.
            Thank you for your feedback.
            Best regards,
            Zdravko Keremidchiev
            Technical Support Representative

Comment

Thanks Zdravko.

Comment

Back playing with vray standalone commands and having an issue with distributed rendering.

When I add the -distributed=1 and -renderhost="boston1"

The render starts but and tries to connect to the node but I get the error saying:

Code:
                [2011/Oct/7|11:03:20] dr host: 192.168.10.21
                [2011/Oct/7|11:03:21] warning: Could not connect to host 192.168.10.21: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
                [2011/Oct/7|11:03:21] Using 0 hosts for distributed rendering.
                The IP address is the correct IP for the node.

When I open maya and try the same thing. Enabling distributed rendering and render, it connects fine to that node and it is used successfully during render.

Any ideas? Have I entered it wrong in the command line? Should I be specifying what port to use?

Many thanks,

Richard

Comment

Ok looks like I needed to add the -portNumber option. Did not see that at the start of the options list. Should really be listed below the -distributed option in the vray -help list.

Also how do I find out the port number to the slave machines? To find out what it is I run distributed within Maya and in the output window it tells me the port it uses.

Code:
                  [2011/Oct/12|17:46:25] V-Ray: Preprocessing for distributed rendering (port 20207)!
                  If I was not in maya how could i find this out?

Cheers,

Rich
                  Last edited by chuckie7413; 12-10-2011, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Is there a flag to set vray not to render on the host machine when using distributed rendering? Possible with standalone?

Thanks,

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by chuckie7413 View Post
                      If I was not in maya how could i find this out?
                      In newer builds the portNumber flag will be automatically set, so it won't be needed.
                      V-Ray developer

Comment

Cool.

Thanks,

Rich

Comment

No, when using standalone the DR host machine cannot be excluded from the Distributed Rendering.
                          Regarding the previous question - you can find out the port number of the slave machines when you launch V-Ray render slave. The port could be changed by right-clicking on "Launch V-Ray render slave" and go to Properties. Then change the post in the target.

Comment

Ah ok. Thanks Marta.

Best,

Richard

Comment

Could be useful to know that while you can't exclude the host machine from rendering, you can use a lower number of rendering threads with the -numThreads=N flag where N is the number of threads that you want to use on the client machine.
                              Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                              X