Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-Ray 2.0 for Maya backwards compatible with 1.5SP1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray 2.0 for Maya backwards compatible with 1.5SP1?

Hi Everyone,

Just searched all the threads for V-Ray for Maya & didn’t see an answer to the most basic question: Is V-Ray 2.0 (2.00.04) for Maya backwards compatible with 1.50 SP1?

Dessislava from tech support sent us instructions on running 2.0 concurrently with 1.5, but not working correctly… Little tricky to get 2 versions working under Linux-64…

We’re debating about uninstalling 1.5 SP1 & running 2.0 only, but we need to be sure we can accept 2.0 & 1.5 V-Ray for Maya jobs on Maya 09/10/11/12.

We compared the Plug-in information (Commands, Dependency nodes, Drag and Drop behaviors) between 1.50 SP1 & 2.00.04--ALL features of 1.50 SP1 are included in 2.0's features.

Thank you!

Jeremy
    Last edited by jer_rendersolve; 29-06-2011, 03:05 PM.

If you mean whether you can open scenes created with V-Ray 2.0 in a Maya instance with V-Ray 1.5 installed and render them - for the most part, you can do that, yes.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I have found that depending on what build of 1.5 you are using you my need to purge he vraysettings node as there Ma be new attributes in 2.0 that were not in 1.5

Comment

Thank you Vlado for the response!! You were at the V-Ray launch at RFX Hollywood a few months ago right?

Actually, we upgraded to V-Ray for Maya 2.0 on our farm--2.0 wanted to uninstall 1.5...

My question is can V-Ray for Maya 2.0 open 1.5 files & render them?? All features from 1.5 are included in 2.0's features. Or, should we only run v1.5 files using v1.5 on the farm & v2.0 files using 2.0 on the farm??

Thank you!!

Jeremy

Comment

Thanks mr furious for the response

We initially had v1.50 SP1 installed on the farm, but upgraded to v2.00.04 2 days ago.

Have you tried rendering v1.5 files on v2.0 V-Ray for Maya?

Yes, 2.0 has a couple features that 1.5 doesn't have. But all of 1.5 features are in 2.0--that's why we asked/think 2.0 should be able to run 1.5 files as well.

Take care.

Jeremy

Comment

Yes, we're in the process of vetting both maya 2012 and vray 2.0 in our pipeline. I have rendered in maya 2012 vray 2.0 production scenes that were created in maya 2012 with various nightly build of vray 1.5 (i believe they had the 2.0 core).

in some cases as stated above all i had to do to get them to renders was purge the vray settings and re-create it. (simply delete the vraysettings node(turn on DAG nodes), and turn off vray and turn it back on.) you can also do this with some simple scripting. This was mostly the case on a single show that started off with an older nightly build.

other cases it worked without purging the vraysettings node. either way nothing else in the scenes were impacted.

hope this helps

Comment

but as always.... don't just jump in. do some diligence and install the build on a few machines and do your own testing. In my initial tests the latest released version is very stable.

Andy

Comment

Thank you mr furious!
                Have a great one!
                Jeremy

Comment

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the response! We have (3) 48core nodes so V-Ray was only 12 installs across Maya09/10/11/12
                  If we run into issues opening v1.5SP1 files in v2.00.04, we can revert the farm back to 1.5 in an hour...
                  Just wanted to see if anyone else has tried opening 1.5 files in 2.0 & Chaos' input...

Thanks!!
                  Jeremy

Comment

Hi everyone,

If anyone has any V-Ray for Maya v1.5 files (Maya 09/10/11/12), we'd like to offer anyone 2 FREE HOURS of rendering (instead of our usual 1 free hour) to test compatibility ourselves. Please send an email to sales@rendersolve.com & we'll set up an FTP account for you--please mention you saw this post for the free 2 hour offer.

Thank you!!
                    Jeremy
                    Last edited by jer_rendersolve; 05-07-2011, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X