Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huge RAM consumption for tiled textures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge RAM consumption for tiled textures?

I am wondering if there is something I can do to optimize my scene to decrease the RAM consumption during render time. Here below is the spec:

Textures: 450 2K tif textures (607 MB in total) that include diffuse, bump, mask, and normal maps. Among those, there are about 110 maps that are with no information (like 1 KB in size) but still got exported from Mari anyway. Plus, there are 8 2K 32-bit EXR displacement maps. All maps spread across 27 UV tiles. The shader that is assigned with those tiled textures is composed of multiple VRay blend material.

polycount: 0.35 million and rendered as subdivision surfaces in render time with VRay custom attribute. Displacement and Subdivision setting: Edge Length 4, View Dependent on, Max subdivs 1~2.

During render time, the RAM consumption is about 10 GB or 3 GB without textures (a default VRay mtl applied). Is it normal that my 600 MB textures will consume like 7 GB of RAM? I have tried rendering with tiled mipmap EXRs but the overall RAM consumption is the same.
    always curious...

Same issue here, very ram intensive.. is there a solution for this?

Comment

Is this related to using tiled textures for rendering? It would be great to hear more comments from users or the dev. team to confirm that if it's normal or, if not, the possible reason and workarounds.
      always curious...

Comment

Working...
      X