Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper way to render using linear workflow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper way to render using linear workflow?

I have been pretty confused about linear workflow and the correct method of rendering it. Is there a way to render out exr's (16 bit) in linear workflow, and not have to manually gamma correct each and every texture? Right now under color mapping, we are putting it at 2.2 gamma, checking on "don't affect colors", and checking on "linear workflow". Then in the Vray viewport we are turning on the sRGB button. Is this correct? I remember vlado saying to not turn on the linear workflow checkbox, but then you need to add a gamma correction to each texture in the scene... We are using 8bit textures by the way...

Also, what should the flame guys who comp it be doing to it when they get it from us?

Thanks
    Last edited by X14Halo; 02-05-2012, 06:42 PM.
    Lead 3D Artist - A52/Elastic

www.ianruhfass.com

This script automatically adds gamma nodes to all the correct slots in all materials of the scene.

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/do...jjj_gammatools

Comment

Thanks. So is everything I am doing correct, but I should not be turning on the linear workflow checkbox? (which means I have to run that script to add gamma nodes to everything?)
      Last edited by X14Halo; 03-05-2012, 10:28 AM.
      Lead 3D Artist - A52/Elastic

www.ianruhfass.com

Comment

Sounds like ur doing most of it right. Though no need to check on "linear workflow".
        I've been using crGammaCorrect 1.5b mel here for my textures. Also turn on "Convert image to sRGB'. And the compers should be asking for 16bit scanline zip Exr's (I use multichannel) though usually they
        will just take what they get and change it in Nuke.
        Ok.. looks like jjGamma tools is a bit more robust,.. though i'm not sure why all my texures switch to some proxy looking low res version of my real texture... I have to switch it back in the unwrap editor.

Comment

For the textures you can use the Vray Attribute "Texture input gamma" for color swatches I use the JJJ_gammatools ... which helps a lot ....

Comment

Working...
          X