Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray for Amazon

Heya

I got a little problem. The way Vray works for maya with DBR is that it packs the scene and send to slaves every time I hit a render. Now that is fine for local networks but it wont work for Amazon servers since vray would upload the scene to each instance which would take ages... Now this wont work so I'm writting here to see if there is a way for Vray to use References ? I got all my scene and textures on amazon instance so all I'm using at home is reference scene. Any chance to get it working? Or install maya on amazon servers and then use vray&maya like max&vray ?

For small scenes its pretty cool boost. Here goes 5 instances with my home network... Also is there linux version? The linux instances are 16/32 cores so its pretty tempting to get it to work on my end... Click image for larger version

Name:	AmazonRender2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	876833

Thanks, bye.
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

V-Ray for Maya has a Linux version of course - it's available from the download section on our website.

Other than that, I understand what's the issue, but I don't have an immediate solution for you right now - we could not get Maya to work in the same way as a DR slave as 3ds Max. That was way back though - it might be possible now and we could maybe look into it.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Also, you could cache heavy geometry as .vrmesh files so that they are not part of the scene itself... of course, it's not quite the same thing.

Best regards,
      Vlado

Comment

What you mean .vrmesh? I never really used them so will have to read some docs about it. As long as I can apply render overrides on it and put to different render layers(so it work as reference) I could tweak my workflow with cars at least to work for it.

edit: ahh u mean proxy... yea I guess that could work ! As long as I can put displacement on it to smooth it out but then again... maybe I could just export it as heavy geometry... will have to look in to it

Thanks, bye.

Comment

Heya

An update on the thini...

I remade my scene in proxies and synces with amazon servers. Now that went smooth and instances pick up within 2 minuts render data.

The weird issue I have now is that they dont go 100% and spawn all 32/per instance buckets. My internet if at low end with usage so I'm not sure where the issue is, is the maya limited? Vray ? or am I missing something...

I'm attaching few screenshots.

The buckets seems to show up and disapear... weird stuff is happening!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	amazon 2.JPG
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	846201Click image for larger version

Name:	amazoon 1.JPG
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	846202Click image for larger version

Name:	threads.JPG
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	846203

I'm running 5 instances + me so its in total... 176 bucketz...

Thanks, bye.

Comment

It might be useful to check the output from the render slaves on the cloud.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Heya

Yea I will have to run the myself not as service I think. I did not get any vray icon when they were rendering, only process...

As to them appearing and disappearing. It looked like I was limited to around 1-2 slaves that could run at max speed. Which distributed across 5 pcs or 2... it was very random. Strange, it felt as if my workstation was not sending enough requests to render and it was taking a lot of time to send the request. Sometimes a slave pick up and 30 buckets spawned instantly. Then when they render they just disappear and did not show up again. My network was at around 10% with upload speeds so there is bandwidth to use if need. Is maya limited or anything like that? I'm using latest nightly I think... whh

Will try it again at some point with vray started manually and I'll see whats going on.

Comment

Working...
              X