Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

creating a stone wall with displacement - so many methods, which to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creating a stone wall with displacement - so many methods, which to use?

Trying to recreate a similar wall in Maya to http://cgtextures.com/texview.php?id...8g2p8b1hg7qv94 (which is also the base texture I'm using).

- Firstly, my displacement settings are handled by the Vray attributes I add to my geometry's shape node, correct? The Maya displacement node which I plug into the shadingGroup of my material is just there to connect the displacement texture map to the geometry and its settings are redundant?

- Would I want to be using a 32bit displacement map or is 8bit fine? If I'm using a greyscale map such as one exported from CrazyBump, would I generally want to use 2D displacement for that? In which situations would one use Normal displacement and vector displacement?

Basically I'm using the method described here http://mayazest.blogspot.co.nz/2012/...-in-v-ray.html (adding a Maya displacement node containing my displacement texture to the shaderGrp, add the appropriate Vray attributes onto the shape node of the geometry)

Originally posted by Richard7666 View Post
    - Firstly, my displacement settings are handled by the Vray attributes I add to my geometry's shape node, correct? The Maya displacement node which I plug into the shadingGroup of my material is just there to connect the displacement texture map to the geometry and its settings are redundant?
    Yes that is correct - Vray use Maya Displacement texture only as a connection - all displacement parameters are controlled by Vray Displacement Node.

Originally posted by Richard7666 View Post
    - Would I want to be using a 32bit displacement map or is 8bit fine? If I'm using a greyscale map such as one exported from CrazyBump, would I generally want to use 2D displacement for that? In which situations would one use Normal displacement and vector displacement?
    32bit displacement map will generate more finer details - 8bit images will work fine for details away from the camera - but for close ups elements with finer details you should use 32bit images.
    I don't have experience with Crazy Bump software - but in general generating 32 bit images from 8 bit images won't give you truly 32 bit information.

2D Displacement is suitable for more flat geometry - like planes or cubes
    Normal Displacement is suitable for more smoothed geometry like characters and etc
    Vector Displacement is used mostly with software like Zbrush or Mudbox , where you have to displace the geometry not only in its normal direction but also in U and V direction.
    Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 08-03-2013, 06:49 AM.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Thanks Svetlozar, that gives me a good understanding!

Comment

Working...
      X