Falloff plugin node - how to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falloff plugin node - how to use?

Are there instructions for this anywhere? I'm trying to recreate some of Evermotion's V-ray fabric materials in Maya, thought I'd try this. But I can't find any info on how to use it : /

Or is it simply easier to use samplerinfo node + ramp texture https://area.autodesk.com/forum/auto...lloff-texture/ to get that sort of fabric falloff that certain sofas, velvet etc have?
    Last edited by Richard7666; 10-05-2013, 12:39 AM.

I believe you got more control Samplerinfo Node + Ramp than the falloff in the vray texture .... that's just my opinion but Vlado or the other guys might think differently .... but you should get pretty much the same result .... is just nice to see a graphic representation of what you are doing ....

Comment

For me the un-intuitiveness of the sampler info node is one of the most annoying things about maya ( i can list many). It's rediculously over-complicated in my opinion for something so crucial to building shaders. The falloff tex is much more straightforward to use. One click and you can mess around. The sampler info node gives you the facing ratio, ie, a pass based on the angle of incidence, once you set it up in one of the many time-wasting ways. (it does have lots of camera/ normal options which can be good for normal passes or rgb xyz passes but not as useful in shaders) The falloff map does that and much more. For example it can give you a 'top down' pass, ie, if you want to add snow to something just plug it into the falloff and choose type: towards/away and direction type world Y . Instant snow/dust texture not reliant on uv's.

For the fabric texture the sampler info incidence route usually works, in the falloff texture you could use towards away and camera z (viewing direction). But you could try mixing this with perpendicular parallel or something else until it looks right...

I believe there are plans to update the falloff plugin texture so the options are words rather than numbers. It would be great if they could implement the curve too, so that it would be a complete replacement for the sampler info/facing ratio combo. I reckon it would be a popular plugin texture for that reason alone!

Comment

There is some more information about TexFalloff here: http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help...exFalloff.html

I hope it's useful.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yeah I'd love the curve like Bertjenkins suggested...I'm not great with shaders so something that mirrors Max's falloff tex as closely as possible would be amazing.

Comment

Working...
          X