Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do we control Glossiness percentage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we control Glossiness percentage?

Hi there,

In Max there are options for controlling the reflection glossiness amount in percentage - how do we do this in Maya?

^ See fringerprint.jpg has a 10% effect on that channel.

Another thing is that I cannot seem to control glossiness itself by adjusting texture brightness either (ie turning on alpha is luminance and playing with the Color Gain / Color Offset).
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

In Maya, you would do this with a Blend node where one value is the glossiness texture, the other value is the glossiness value, and the texture multiplier is the blending between the two.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado for answering such a simple problem.

I feel like this is a trivial problem but unfortunately I tried this but the blendNode.outPut does not go into the glossiness slot of the VRayMtl.

I think this is because VRayMtl expects the "alpha is luminance" info which gets lost through the blend node?

I'm not very good at shading in Maya looking through the docs and Google, I can't seem to get Maya to convert this data from blendColors so that the VRayMtl.reflectionGlossiness will take it. Do you possibly know off the top of your head? Thanks
      Maya 2020/2022
      Win 10x64
      Vray 5

Comment

Originally posted by snivlem View Post
        I feel like this is a trivial problem but unfortunately I tried this but the blendNode.outPut does not go into the glossiness slot of the VRayMtl.
        You can attach just one of the output components (the red, or green, or blue one).

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Many thanks once again Vlado. Really appreciate it.
          Maya 2020/2022
          Win 10x64
          Vray 5

Comment

Working...
          X