Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vray 3 beta for max started .. what about maya ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris will there still be a edu version for academic purposes. I am faculty at a architecture school here
    In LA and want to see how this will effect the school as well as students and faculty.

Thanks, Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by Jvincentfx45 View Post
      Chris will there still be a edu version for academic purposes.
      Yes, there will be an academic version. Hopefully Chris can get you more details.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Chris will there still be a edu version for academic purposes. I am faculty at a architecture school here
        In LA and want to see how this will effect the school as well as students and faculty.

Thanks, Jimmy
        Hi Jimmy,
        Yes of course we will propose educational version, either for student/teacher or for education institutions like we already do in order to support the next generation artists.
        Please let me know what you are exactly interested to clarify so that I can reply you more precisely.
        Christophe COT
        Software Developer - Chaos
        christophe.cot@chaos.com

Comment

That sounds like a consequent price increase.
          Portfolio: http://www.cgifocus.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_ChaosGroup View Post
            Hi Jimmy,
            Yes of course we will propose educational version, either for student/teacher or for education institutions like we already do in order to support the next generation artists.
            Please let me know what you are exactly interested to clarify so that I can reply you more precisely.
            Chris.
            Thanks for the reply, I guess I was wondering about the pricing for the edu lic. I currently have a edu lic and try to suggest as much as possible that all my students make this investment as well. It is not very expensive as is well worth it. Most of the students are single lic users. We may need some rendering nodes for the labs but would have to check with the IT department. I was also wondering for my self as well since I would like to update to ver 3.0 when available and was wondering how that works for edu faculty in my case. I was more just kinda making sure chaos group was still going to support a edu version.

Thanks for all the help look forward to the new great tools.

Jimmy

Comment

Chris.
              Thanks for the reply, I guess I was wondering about the pricing for the edu lic. I currently have a edu lic and try to suggest as much as possible that all my students make this investment as well. It is not very expensive as is well worth it. Most of the students are single lic users. We may need some rendering nodes for the labs but would have to check with the IT department. I was also wondering for my self as well since I would like to update to ver 3.0 when available and was wondering how that works for edu faculty in my case. I was more just kinda making sure chaos group was still going to support a edu version.

Thanks for all the help look forward to the new great tools.

Jimmy
              Hi Jimmy,
              First of all, as I said we will of course continue to support the educational community and we will never stop.
              As today, we will have 2 different proposals for individuals (students and teachers) and institutions (schools, university,...).

Are you interested to confirm the educational offer only for the individual licenses or for both ?
              Just to avoid mixing the topic of this thread, maybe would be best to create another dedicated thread or even better another subsection in the forum for all educational related questions. Will check that.
              Christophe COT
              Software Developer - Chaos
              christophe.cot@chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yannick View Post
                That sounds like a consequent price increase.
                seems to depent:
                1: more competitive pricing for bigger studios that have various softwarepackages (xsi, maya, max) --> one rendernode works for all --> better pricing --> buying big studio references
                2: price increase for small studios that have 1 to 5 workstations e.g with maya --> instead of 5 licences --> 5 workstation-licences + 50 rendernode-licences --> milking the cash-cow

i don`t wanna say, it is not a adequate pricing politics. but quite a big change for the small studios that profited from the 10 rendernodes for small projects like visualization.

i´m finishing my M.A. next year an was thinking about doing visualizations with vray as a small studio ... as a bonus income for a grafic-designer. And was quite impressed by the DR capabilities coming with vray. but now i would get one workstation licences and that`s it ... no mor speeding up rendering with the old hardware thats laying around

just my few thoughts

greetings
                mark

Comment

I must say that I am getting perturbed. I just bought VRay for Maya in June. I bought it for use in Maya 2014. As well, my intent was to continue upgrading VRay with each new release (expecting upgrades to cost less than my initial purchase cost).

As of the date of this post, however, there still has not been a stable release for Maya 2014 (only nightlies and a promise of a stable release somewhere down the road [maybe after 3.0 is released?]). Now I am finding out that the $1,000+ I spent for this is going to be a kick in the bucket compared to the cost of upgrading to 3.0 (getting a comparable package of workstation and render nodes). I am feeling as though I am in a dark sequel to Deliverance :{

When I decided to move to VRay, a big factor in my decision was the fact that I could have up to 10 render nodes at no additional cost. Had I known a short two and a half months ago that this was the direction VRay was moving, I might have decided to spend my money on a competing product (or at least I could have made an informed decision to purchase!). I am now, in fact, considering whether I should stay with VRay, and its new upgrade path, or move on. It's sad, really. I spent a lot of time deciding on this product.

I guess the thing that angers me the most is that I just bought this product and the expected terms of the upgrade path were changed right after they cashed my check.
                  Last edited by JabbaTheNut; 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM.

Comment

There is no official announcements regarding Vray for maya licensing so I'll try to hold on decisions until we got some solid facts on front page...
                    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

DADAL,

You're right, of course.

However, it doesn't boost my confidence to see that only those who bought VRay for 3DS Max on or after August 4 (just a couple of weeks before the licensing announcement) would get a free upgrade with 3 render nodes (or any kind of upgrade assistance).

If this were a standard upgrade, I would think that upgrade assistance would be appropriate for "very recent" customers (i.e., a few weeks or so). However, in this case, they are changing the entire upgrade paradigm for the product. I believe more consideration should be given to "existing" or at least "fairly recent" customers. Think of it as paradigm shift assistance rather than upgrade assistance.

Upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0 would be a different story. By then, the upgrade paradigm would have been well understood and expected by those who were purchasing VRay for the first time.
                      Last edited by JabbaTheNut; 10-09-2013, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X