Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geometry and bitmap cache workflow

Hi,

I was trying to test how much faster a scene can start rendering when using geometry and bitmap cache.
    As geometry and bitmap cache are stored in memory after a render is complete, is it recommended to just keep these two options checked when tweaking ligthing and render settings (samples and etc.) and click "Clear geometry/bitmap cache" when there are geo/bitmap updates in the scene?

Also, can I use a really low quality render setting to save geo/bitmap cache in memory faster and then kick off a higher quality rendering?

Thanks,
    Jason
    always curious...

VRay should automatically update the changes, if there are any. The "Clear cache" button is there so you can manually release the cache from memory when or if you need to do so.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
      VRay should automatically update the changes, if there are any. The "Clear cache" button is there so you can manually release the cache from memory when or if you need to do so.
      Thank you, Alex. So I can basically keep that two options check all the time to let Vray detect the change on geo and bitmaps to update the cache.

I have experienced recently that, after I manually clear the cache, Vray threw an fatal error message when I hit the render button again and won't render. Save the scene seems to address this issue?
      always curious...

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
        VRay should automatically update the changes, if there are any.
        This doesn't work for me; I have to manually flush the cache for VRay to pick up an updated bitmap. Official 3.0 in M2014 on Linux. Is this something that has been adressed in the nightlies at some point?

Comment

Originally posted by jasonhuang1115 View Post
          Thank you, Alex. So I can basically keep that two options check all the time to let Vray detect the change on geo and bitmaps to update the cache.
          Ideally, yes.

I have experienced recently that, after I manually clear the cache, Vray threw an fatal error message when I hit the render button again and won't render. Save the scene seems to address this issue?
          Does this happen on any scene? I will try and reproduce this on our end, too.
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Andersen View Post
            This doesn't work for me; I have to manually flush the cache for VRay to pick up an updated bitmap. Official 3.0 in M2014 on Linux. Is this something that has been adressed in the nightlies at some point?
            I'll have to check.
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Having geo and bitmap cache on is quite unstable on my end. I am on Maya 2014 with nightly built of 03-16-2015.
              I have both options on and use RT (CPU). It works fine but Maya would end up crashed at some point after I stop RT and tweaking the scene. I couldn't re-produce the crash exactly as it crashed so randomly...

For regular rendering, the worst I got was a red warning of fatal error of rebuilding the scene. It won't crash Maya and can be fixed if I tumble around and re-save the scene.
              always curious...

Comment

For regular rendering, the worst I got was a red warning of fatal error of rebuilding the scene. It won't crash Maya and can be fixed if I tumble around and re-save the scene.
                This particular error is fixed for the next nightly builds tomorrow.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Cool...Thanks for the hard work, Vlado and the team!
                  always curious...

Comment

Working...
                  X