Multiple Vray builds on one machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Vray builds on one machine?

Yesterday I installed Vray for Maya 2016 on a machine that also has Maya/Vray 2015. Now when I fire up Maya 2015 it won't load the Vray 2015 plugin, even though it's still installed.

Is it not possible to have both versions running on the same system?

Thanks for the help!

Howdy!

I just went through a similar scenario; one version of Maya and two versions of Vray.
    Just follow the instructions on the below link, which works. Although I encountered a bug where working with Vray shaders in the Hypershade causes Maya to freeze and crash. BTW you can either set system variables or use Maya.env to set them; the provided Maya.env in the link is missing 3 vars that are described in the instructions though.

Please post back if you are successful and crashless,

http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...a+.zip+File###

Comment

Originally posted by rgbaz View Post
      Howdy!

I just went through a similar scenario; one version of Maya and two versions of Vray.
      Just follow the instructions on the below link, which works. Although I encountered a bug where working with Vray shaders in the Hypershade causes Maya to freeze and crash. BTW you can either set system variables or use Maya.env to set them; the provided Maya.env in the link is missing 3 vars that are described in the instructions though.

Please post back if you are successful and crashless,

http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...a+.zip+File###
      Did you report that bug/crash to our forums or support@chaosgroup.com ?
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

yes, I have an ongoing support Ticket (#334682) on this issue and will report back with the resolution.

Comment

The HyperShade was debugged by support, yay!

It turns out that out of the variable that need to be set; PATH need to point to both, ..\maya_vray\bin and ..\maya_root\bin locations.

and if you want RT to work also set the VRAY_PLUGINS_x64 to ..\maya_vray\plugins as per the Standalone instructions in the above link.

Thanks Desislava,

Comment

Originally posted by rgbaz View Post
            It turns out that out of the variable that need to be set; PATH need to point to both, ..\maya_vray\bin and ..\maya_root\bin locations.
            Hm, I'm not sure this is a good idea. In fact it is pretty dangerous idea.
            In the current situation it might work just, because the two versions of V-Ray you're using are the same, but if they aren't you might get random crashes, failures to load V-Ray and other unpleasant problems that are hard to debug.

Generally the idea is to start Maya from a script (batch, python, etc) and in this script to set all environment variables to the appropriate values for the Maya version/V-Ray version you want to run.
            In your case you'll have two scripts one for 2015 and one for 2016.
            V-Ray developer

Comment

Working...
            X