Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRaySimbiont - Question about UVs and using Dark Tree Maps

Hello all,

It's an underused shader option that I have recently started playing around with but I am having a hard time finding more specific information.

1) What exactly am I supposed to plug into the UVW coordinates box?

2) I can use the VraySimbiont shader on an object, but would it be possible to get the procedural maps out of it and plug them into another vray shader instead?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    ------------------------
    Chris Smallfield
    Freelance VFX Supervisor / Senior 3D Generalist
    ChrisSmallfield.com

Well I figured out the answer to question nr 1. If you click on the texture icon next to the UVW coordinates box, then apply a 2d placement node, you can then control it's placement, repeating etc with that placement node. Which is quite important because otherwise youd need enormous UVs to get a reasonable tiling level with the default.

For number 2, I have a not-so-great work around which is baking the maps to the UVs of an object then applying it as a texture. But this has many bad sides. Its destructive, it kills the advantages of something being procedural, like being lightweight and not memory intensive, so it would still be great to be able to get the maps into other shaders somehow. Anyone know a way?

Thanks,
    Chris
    ------------------------
    Chris Smallfield
    Freelance VFX Supervisor / Senior 3D Generalist
    ChrisSmallfield.com

Comment

Yep, use substance textures. Simbiont is dead and supported only on Windows, I don't think it's advisable to use it in new projects.
      V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Working...
      X