Photoshop cant open EXR files from Vray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop cant open EXR files from Vray

We get a error here more and more where Photoshop cant open EXR files from Vray.
    The file gets corrupted somehow. If you rerender the same files sometimes you are able to open them.
    Nuke does open all of those corrupted files.

Is there any known issue?

Attached one of those corrupted files.
    Attached Files
    https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
    Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Maybe not a solution to your issue but my PS is able to open .vrimg file and treat it as EXR without problems. I don't know how it works but I am almost certain all I did was to install open exr plugin for PS. Tried to do the same at work but it does not work - We have tomanually convert .vrimg file to exr using vray to exr converter.
    My Artstation
    Whether it is an advantageous position or a disadvantageous one, the opposite state should be always present to your mind. -
    Sun Tsu

Comment

I opened it in nuke and checked metadata, and they all look fine.
      Nothing odd about the image at all, that i can tell: could it be it's a problem on your end?
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

The file look perfectly fine, unless I'm missing something.
        PS might have trouble opening multichannel exr files (if by chance that's how you created it or if there's something else PS doesn't like about exr).
        There's a free plugin for PS called EXR-IO that helps tremendously with that (and it also supports cryptomatte masks in PS).
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Hey Oglu,
          I can open your file with DJV, PDPlayer, Fusion 9, XnView MP.
          Photoshop 21 fails with an error.
          Photoshop with the EXR IO Plugin opens the file fine.
          https://www.exr-io.com/exr-io-2-00/
          Florian von Behr
          CG Supervisor
          The Scope GmbH
          Behance

Comment

Did you update photoshop? The 2020 version is a flaming bag of dogshit, we immediately rolled back here.

It is broken in numerous ways, it's an absolutely shocking attempt of an update. I cant believe they released it.

Comment

Thanks for all your ideas.

We have this error with all kinds of Photoshop. We cant use the EXR-IO plugin cause i does not work with linked files.

As i mentioned in the first post it does open fine in nuke. And if we rerender the file it does work also without any changes.

But it does happen several times a day that we get this error.
              Last edited by oglu; 20-12-2019, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Can you compare a broken EXR file to a rerendered one that works in Photoshop? Maybe that will reveal the problem.
                Florian von Behr
                CG Supervisor
                The Scope GmbH
                Behance

Comment

Hi guys,

I experienced the same problem several times lately. Sometimes I have a render, with several separate render elements, and you can read all except one element. It's a random problem. A workaround for me was to read the file in VFB and save it again.
                  www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

I've had this problem too, I was working with a several 100 similar renders. I'd render the files to the VFB then save them out from there to separate files, then when I was importing or replacing smart objects of those passes into Photoshop it would give me an error message saying the odd EXR pass file was broken/dodgy.

I tried re-saving the EXRs, re-rendering part of the image and resaving, but that didn't work...

I got around it by finding the vrimg file saved in my Vray history and converting that using the VRimg to EXR converter .

Comment

This should really not be happening.
                      Are those multi-channel EXR files or single-channel files?
                      Alex Yolov
                      Product Manager
                      www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
                        This should really not be happening.
                        Are those multi-channel EXR files or single-channel files?
                        This was happening when I was saving from the VFB to output separate files for each element (see the attached button). Some of the elements from a single render would import and/or open in Photoshop, but then some (one or two) wouldn't.

Comment

Any hints to what render elements were the ones that didn't open in photoshop?
                          Alex Yolov
                          Product Manager
                          www.chaos.com

Comment

I dont think there are any channels in those EXR files. We save singlechannel most of the time.

I will do a check after the vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
                              Any hints to what render elements were the ones that didn't open in photoshop?
                              for me it's single channel exr files, and it's really random. Sometimes it's a render element (materialID, zdepth, etc...) sometimes it's the beauty pass or effectsresult. Really random...
                              www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

Working...
                              X