Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VolumeGrid None Render CPU usage.

Hi,

We have had a constant issue with the volumeGrid using a ton of CPU time when not even rendering. This is in the viewport even without the fancy GPU shade mode.

It's not so noticeable with one grid loaded but after you add a few the CPU hits 100% usage killing performance when lookdeving.

We are using Macs, so I don't know if it's an MacOS related issue or not.

It would be great if someone could look into it for us.

Thanks,
    David.
    www.lunaranimation.com

It is usually normal since the VolumeGrid preview has to be generated for the viewport. You may try disabling some of the preview channels (Preview>Voxel Preview) and see if that helps.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by aleksandar.hadzhiev View Post
      It is usually normal since the VolumeGrid preview has to be generated for the viewport. You may try disabling some of the preview channels (Preview>Voxel Preview) and see if that helps.
      Should this happen constantly or just as you change the current frame or settings?
      www.lunaranimation.com

Comment

Hey

If you move your camera around or you change the frame - the preview needs to be redrawn so it will use the CPU, that's why it's best to either increase the Detail reduction or turn off the checkboxes for the Voxel preview as Aleksandar said above.
        Georgi Zhekov
        Phoenix Product Manager
        Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by georgi.zhekov View Post
          Hey

If you move your camera around or you change the frame - the preview needs to be redrawn so it will use the CPU, that's why it's best to either increase the Detail reduction or turn off the checkboxes for the Voxel preview as Aleksandar said above.
          Hi,

I'm finding that the CPU is constant even without changing frame or the camera.

I tried turning off all of the check boxes under Voxel Preview and CPU usage stays high. I also tried hiding the volume grid but it doesn't effect the constant CPU usage.

David.
          www.lunaranimation.com

Comment

Hey,

Can you send over the scene along with the cache then, so we can check what is going on. Also which version of V-Ray are you using?
            Georgi Zhekov
            Phoenix Product Manager
            Chaos

Comment

Working...
            X