Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix and vertex paint masking

Good Afternoon,

I have been following this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k3wePAC-qs on creating a firepit style fire using Phoenix. The part I'm stuck on is the vertex color masking part seeing Max as a vertex color node and Maya does not natively. I referenced the setup here: https://docs.chaos.com/display/PHX4M...+RGB+Workflows for applying the colors but using this logic for the mask. The problem is, no matter what I seem to set up, Phoenix won't read the mask of the vertex paint and just emits from everywhere. If I use a ramp or noise texture in the mask slot it does what it's supposed to, so I am not sure if I am missing a step or doing something wrong. I know the vertex color node is technically depreciated at this point, but I am not seeing another way to handle this without using it.

Here is my current set up that is not working:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PhoenixSetup.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	530.1 KB
ID:	1130065

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Ah, this definitely needs us to update the docs! Sooo when you want to use vertex color as an RGB map, you paint the vertex RGB. BUT, when you want to use the vertex color as a mask, you must paint the Vertex Alpha, like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_5.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1130417
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

If the VRayVertexColors texture had an Alpha is Luminance check box, this would also have worked - this is what you need to do for other textures used as masks.

Hope this helps, cheers!
      Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Just FYI. I've logged an issue (internal bug-tracker id: VMAYA-10862) for improving the VRayVertexColors to include an "Alpha is Luminance".
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X