Vray 6 rendering makes entire system extremely laggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 6 rendering makes entire system extremely laggy

I've been using vray for many years now, but it's the first version that makes the entire system laggy. So laggy that the PC is pretty much inoperable. Some time it doesn't even recongize if I press stop rendering or press esc. And forget about using the computer for anything else while rendering. Not even writing an email. Feels like vray is using 99.99% of the system ressources.

Is anyone else experiencing the same?

Hello !!

Yes, it happens to me too, not so exaggerated, but the same thing happens to me... I thought it was because I used Windows Professional instead of the home version.

i have 64gb ram and intel i9 7940X with 24 threads​!!

regards
    Carlos Alvarez Velazquez

Tutorials about VRay for Maya:
    https://youtube.com/CarlosAlvarezVelazquez

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
      I've been using vray for many years now, but it's the first version that makes the entire system laggy. So laggy that the PC is pretty much inoperable. Some time it doesn't even recongize if I press stop rendering or press esc. And forget about using the computer for anything else while rendering. Not even writing an email. Feels like vray is using 99.99% of the system ressources.

Is anyone else experiencing the same?
      It’s a problem at all out machines at work so i know it’s not contained to certain machines, but the Vray software itself.

System:
      win 10
      3950x
      2080ti
      vray 6.00.02

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
        Feels like vray is using 99.99% of the system ressources.
        Indeed, the goal is to utilize 100% of the resources, after all. It can make some actions like passing a 'stop' (escape) command lag, that's true.
        If you plan on doing other tasks with your machine, you might want to consider enabling "low priority" for V-Ray.

For V-Ray, it's under Render Settings > Settings > System > System - advanced.
        You can use the same place to lower the number of CPU threads used for rendering, so 1 thread is left for other tasks.

For V-Ray GPU, in V-Ray 6 you can assign low priority for each rendering device under the new Device Selection options (Render Settings > V-Ray tab > V-Ray render devices selection).

Hope this helps.

Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post

Indeed, the goal is to utilize 100% of the resources, after all. It can make some actions like passing a 'stop' (escape) command lag, that's true.
          If you plan on doing other tasks with your machine, you might want to consider enabling "low priority" for V-Ray.

You can use the same place to lower the number of CPU threads used for rendering, so 1 thread is left for other tasks.

For V-Ray GPU, in V-Ray 6 you can assign low priority for each rendering device under the new Device Selection options (Render Settings > V-Ray tab > V-Ray render devices selection).

Hope this helps.
          So much that I can't even press the "stop render" button? Because that is how it is now. I often have shut down Maya via task manager to stop a render because I can't do it via VFB. I understand that we want to use as much render power as possible, but this has never been an issue before. What has changed?

Comment

Are you rendering locally?

If that's the case, then a good practice is to not let V-Ray (or any renderer for what matters) use all your machine cores. If you have 64 cores, for example, try to set your "Max render threads" to 56 (default is 0, which means V-Ray will try to utilize all the threads available, leaving your Windows system without resources).

This, along with "Low thread priority" (only if the first method doesn't fix the issue completely) should do the trick.

Comment

Same here tested today a scene with vray 6 and in CPU mode its freezing my entire system.
              https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
              Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Comment

Originally posted by oglu View Post
                Same here tested today a scene with vray 6 and in CPU mode its freezing my entire system.
                I'm glad somebody is backing me up on this issue. It shouldn't be required to do Ctrl+Alt+Del to stop a render prematurely. And it was never an issue before.

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post

You should try that. Works just fine.

Comment

Maybe "Low thread priority" should be enabled by default. I forgot to set this in a scene and I was not able to cancel a render. No amount of hitting escape worked, and even the Task Manager was not responsive enough to let me kill Maya. I ended up just doing a hard reset so I could have my machine back. That should not be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by stehrani3d View Post
                      Maybe "Low thread priority" should be enabled by default. I forgot to set this in a scene and I was not able to cancel a render. No amount of hitting escape worked, and even the Task Manager was not responsive enough to let me kill Maya. I ended up just doing a hard reset so I could have my machine back. That should not be necessary.
                      i completely agree

Comment

Can confirm this. Painful.

Comment

I had to revert back to Vray 5 today for this exact issue. I also think it may be specific to Maya for some reason. I am also working with Vray in Rhino with Vray 6 and the issue is not there at all. My main issue came in the framebuffer. I was finding that I couldn't zoom, edit exposure, etc, without the system lagging bigtime. In the framebuffer in Rhino, it works perfectly. No lag, system is smooth and fast. So why the issue with Maya? I did a complete reinstall today and the problem persists.

Comment

Same here, and it seems the low priority is gone now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	758
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1178403

Any solution to this?​
                            www.gaell.com

Comment

Originally posted by MannaTheBerserk View Post
                              Are you rendering locally?

If that's the case, then a good practice is to not let V-Ray (or any renderer for what matters) use all your machine cores. If you have 64 cores, for example, try to set your "Max render threads" to 56 (default is 0, which means V-Ray will try to utilize all the threads available, leaving your Windows system without resources).

This, along with "Low thread priority" (only if the first method doesn't fix the issue completely) should do the trick.
                              Hi, I cannot find the Max render threads setting, could you please post a print screen here, thanks in advance.
                              Best regards,
                              Jackie Teh
                              --

3ds max design 2023, V-Ray 6, Update 2.1 [6.20.07 build 32575]
                              AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.40 GHz | 64GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
                              Email: info@sporadicstudio.com
                              YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SporadicStudio

Comment

Working...
                              X