Vray GPU and Volume Noise in Maya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray GPU and Volume Noise in Maya

Not to sound ungrateful for all the fantastic technical work you people at Chaos do, but it seems with every new project it takes me mere minutes to find another limitation of Vray GPU. This time it's Maya's basic Volume Noise node, which works perfectly fine on Vray CPU but renders horrible seams into the image when running on the GPU. I'm unsure if this is something that the place3DTexture node causes or the Noise itself, but the scaling is completely different between the two as well. In either case, it's disappointing not to have a more consistent output between the flavours of Vray and having to spend hours investigating discrepancies yet again

File and images showing the issue attached.
    Attached Files

Thanks for the report. It seems to be an issue with the place3d's Scale. I've logged it (internal bug-tracker id: VGPU-6118 ) for developer investigation. Adjusting the scale through the Volume Noise itself does not seem to produce tiling. Otherwise, I'm not sure why GPU and CPU noise scaling is different by default. I'll ask around and write back.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks Hermit,

I seem to recall this has been a problem for some time. Please let me know what you find!

Comment

yeh the 2d and 3d texture nodes were a major reason why I stopped using gpu. I would be trying to line up automotive interior textures and using offsets etc to fine tune things, and GPU was not updating to what I saw in the viewport.
        Website
        https://mangobeard.com/
        Behance
        https://www.behance.net/seandunderdale

Comment

Yeah a real pity as some of us don't have the option of using CPU - it's like 50x slower on my poor quad core system

Comment

Working...
          X