Cosmos to mesh texture issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosmos to mesh texture issue

I am converting some Cosmos assets into editable meshes so I can make some changes and possibly some texture tweaks. I am following post I found here where I import the Cosmos asset as a vray proxy using 'the old way'. The materials render correctly on the cosmos and the proxy. However, when I create a mesh from the proxy, the 'restored' asset despite keeping all of the materials from the proxy, the texture maps will no longer render. The texture shows in viewport however.
    I've attached two images, left bottle is the imported cosmos, middle is the 'old' vray proxy, and the right bottle is the 'restored' mesh derived from the proxy.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Cosmos_Problem_s01.png
Views:	207
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	1186797

Name:	Cosmos_Problem_s02.png
Views:	129
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	1186798

Hi, thanks for posting. How do you convert the V-Ray Proxy to editable mesh in Maya? What do you mean by "the old vray proxy" ?
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi, I found this thread on the forum, and followed the instructions in this specific post.

https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray-for-maya-forums/v-ray-for-maya-general/1147950-how-do-you-convert-a-cosmos-model-into-an-editable-mesh?p=1155985#post1155985

Comment

Hi, you are correct. Once we import the proxy as a mesh the texture loses it's UV coordinates. I was able to track this down to a V-Ray extra attribute, the 2D Placement options. It is referring to a named UV set that is missing after conversion for some reason.

Name:	maya_2023-07-27_16-49-08.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	1187216

If you remove this attribute from here

Name:	maya_2023-07-27_16-50-06.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1187217

you will be able to render the material correctly.
        I will check if this is expected behaviour and get back to the thread.

Comment

Hi Vladimir,

Your solution worked perfectly! Thank you for your time to trouble shoot this! It makes so much sense the way you explained, as I did find a work around was to create a new file texture node to load in the same texture. I unfortunately have been soo sleep deprived it never occurred to me to logically look at the existing texture node to figure out why it was not actually loading the texture map.

Comment

There is a difference between 3ds Max and Maya's UV sets indexing. In 3ds Max the first channel is 1 while in Maya the first channel is 0. Probably this model originally comes from 3ds Max.
            Could you share a little mode information about your workflow? Why do you need this bottle as a editable mesh?

Comment

Vladimir,

Thanks for the extra information on the 'why' for my issue.

The reason I was trying to get the cosmos assets to a mesh was because I was having scenes off loaded to someone else for animation who did not have v-ray. I ended up just keeping the cosmos asset in the scene and they animated around a untextured mesh export. There was also possibly a phase of production where we were going to to some modelling edits/tweaks to other cosmos assets, but creative went a different direction and we chose different sources and created new assets from scratch.

Comment

I see, thanks for explaining.

Comment

Working...
                X