Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bumpToGloss not supporting UDIMs

Hi,
    i noticed a bug in vray's bumpToGloss where it doesn't respect the Maya File Node "UV TIle Mode" Attribute.
    Below you can see the result of bumpToGloss when using the UDIM Mode.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_81831.png
Views:	145
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1195706 Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_81830.png
Views:	143
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	1195707

If instead I set the UV Tile Mode to OFF and manually enter the <UDIM> tag into the filefield, than it works

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_81834.png
Views:	144
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	1195708
    Last edited by jens_kafitz1; 23-11-2023, 04:52 AM.

There should be a warning in the log about this. Quoting the log message from my tests: "Warning: VRayBump2Glossiness does not support textures with tags in the filename"
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I rarely see production assets that are not relying on <UDIM> tiles these days. Is missing support for this a temporary limitation?
      Last edited by Dan Andersen; 24-11-2023, 05:28 AM.

Comment

I only see the warning "Warning: VRayBump2Glossiness does not support textures with tags in the filename​" if I manually add the <UDIM> Tag into the File Text Edit Field.
        If I set the text edit field to File.1001.exr and then change the Tiling Mode to UDIM, Maya swaps out the the 1001 for <UDIM> however the warning about it no longer appears.

This is because Maya maintains two filename attributes, the original one and the one that the Tiling Mode sets.
        I suppose Vray only checks the Main one which remains at File.1001.exr

All that being said, it is a serious limitation as was mentioned by Dan above, not having UDIM Tile support for this makes it rarely usable.

Comment

Spoke with the devs about it - it is unsupported, but it will be fixed eventually.
          Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
          X