Why does VRay not like Nurbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just adding my 2 cents.
    We use Autodesk Showcase for the tessellation. It is quite smart in the way it tessellate the geometry. It manage to divide object by colour, layers and/or tolerance. In most case with CAD files geometry is organised in layer and colour. Also if you can create some script to do the tessellation automatically. And that also a great software for realtime review.
    Portfolio: http://www.cgifocus.co.uk

Comment

You will get the best results sending all cad data off to be resurfaced as poly quads. That way you can throw Vray Subd's on the model and have it look killer. Tri car models from converted Cad data look like shit at close up.

Comment

Originally posted by Metzger View Post
        You will get the best results sending all cad data off to be resurfaced as poly quads. That way you can throw Vray Subd's on the model and have it look killer. Tri car models from converted Cad data look like shit at close up.
        That's a point, of course. Subds won't work with tris. But if the resolution is high enough and the vertex (!) normals are imported correctly you won't see any issues at all. But quads are always nicer, of course. Do you retopo the models by hand?

We use Autodesk Showcase for the tessellation.
        Yes, Showcase does a really nice job most times. But it's pretty expensive (still $10000?) for smaller companies. You get correct names+groups with Polytrans, too, btw. (Oh, and i'm not selling Polytrans, just using it )

Comment

Most of the time we outsource quad resurfacing. It's best to leave resurfacing to a company that specializes so you can spend the artists time making it look good in Vray.

Comment

Originally posted by Metzger View Post
            I beg to differ. If they do, then something is done wrong during tesselation/conversion. Polyquads will never reach the quality and esp. accuracy of propery tesselated CAD data.

Regards,
            Thorsten

Comment

I also never heard of retopo CAD for quad output. Sounds pretty expensive But if it works for you, why not.

EDIT: Only case i can think of is, when you need proper deformations, of course.

Comment

Really sounds expensive. Can you give us the name of the company that do that for you, Metzger? Would like to know more about that. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X