Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay Light Dome for interior scene?

Hi,

I have an interior live-action scene with the corresponding HDR panorama captured and rough scene geometries built. I tried to used the Light Dome to provide fill lighting (with the captured HDRI) and some VRay Rect Lights to light the CG character.

Is there a way to make the scene geometries receive and cast shadow (of VRay Rect Lights) but not occlude the lighting from the VRayLightDome? Basically, I want these rough scene geometries to serve as stand-in objects that provide shadowing and reflections to the CG objects but not blocking the image-based lighting from the HDRI.

Thanks,
    Jason
    always curious...

You should be able to disconnect the link between your dome light and the geometry.
    Portfolio: http://www.cgifocus.co.uk

Comment

Hi, Yannick,

I simply create the dome light and leave it there, so not sure what you mean by "disconnect the link". Could you explain a bit further on how I disconnect the dome light and the geometry?
      always curious...

Comment

I tried assigning a VRayMtlWrapper (with empty Base Material and Matte Surface checked) to the room geo such that the room geo is not blocking the Light Dome lighting, but the room geo is also NOT cast shadow onto the CG objects for the Rect Light I placed in the room? How should get around this?
        always curious...

Comment

Jason,

you can link/unlink light to geometry. The window is in Lighting/Shading--->Light Linking Editor.
          If you unlink a light from some geometry, the light will not affect the geometry any more.
          Portfolio: http://www.cgifocus.co.uk

Comment

You can also try to limit the distance of the dome light shadow rays.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Yannick View Post
              Jason,

you can link/unlink light to geometry. The window is in Lighting/Shading--->Light Linking Editor.
              If you unlink a light from some geometry, the light will not affect the geometry any more.
              Thank you, Yannick. I should have mentioned that the camera is inside of the room geometry as the CG character is inside the room. So, the link linking couldn't cut it for my situation. If I unlink the dome light to the room geometry, it will still render totally black. If you experienced different result, please let me know.

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              You can also try to limit the distance of the dome light shadow rays.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Cool, Vlado. I got the Dome light to shine into the room to light the CG character without being blocked by the room geometry while the Rect Light's shadow can still be affected by the same room geometry. With this feature, the Dome Light performs as if I was using GI environment override with geometries being set to Matte surfaces.

Thanks a lot!
              Last edited by jasonhuang1115; 18-10-2010, 08:01 AM.
              always curious...

Comment

Working...
              X