Occlsuion not really smooth...can see poly edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occlsuion not really smooth...can see poly edges

My occlusion renders always look like the vertexnormals are ignored,as you can see here...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	occ.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	872273

Is there a trick that i don't know,or is this a bug?

cheers
    Oli
    OLIVER MARKOWSKI - Head of 3D at RISE | Visual Effects Studios

happens to me also sometimes, not sure why....
    www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

It may be normal; interpolated normals don't always hide the underlying geometry. For now, you can try a different distribution value, but it may be a good idea to add a threshold to ignore rays close to the surface.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

OMG! I never noticed that distribution attribute....it does what i am after......puh! made my day.......for now!

It maybe a good idea to set the distribution default to 1.0 since i suppose nobody wants to see edges in the occlusion.

Comment

Ah, well, it is 1.0 by default in the 3ds Max version Will make a note to make it so for the Maya one as well.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

I also sometimes see artifacts like the one described above in my reflection render elements...could this be a similar issue? It only happens with blurred reflections...is there maybe an attribute that i need to adjust in the VrayMtl?

cheers
            Oliver

Comment

In newer builds there is an option "Fix dark glossy edges" in VRayMtl; it may help (but then again, it may not; depends on what causes the issue).

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Is there a double sided option when rendering ao for single sided geo? For example I have pages in a book they ao looks fine but once they turn a page and you see the other side with the normals facing the other direction it becomes black.

Comment

Not for the moment, but it is somewhere on the "to do" list.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by michae View Post
                    Is there a double sided option when rendering ao for single sided geo? For example I have pages in a book they ao looks fine but once they turn a page and you see the other side with the normals facing the other direction it becomes black.
                    That's simple....just take a condition node...a sampler info and 2 VrayDirt nodes....

sampleinfo.flippedNormal into condition if true plug in the Vray Dirt node with "invert normal" ON and inside the wring condition plug the standard VrayDirt Node.

Comment

Working...
                    X