Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vector Displacement with Mudbox

Dear Support Team,

I am trying to get a proper result wifh Vector Displacement Map which is from MudBox.
    Please check below image.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	test_vector_dis.png
Views:	1
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	873185

The result is the best. It looks like similar but it is different result.
    The image from left side is from Mudbox and the other is from V-Ray for Maya.

I tried to use V-Ray Vector displacement with several vector diplacement images with the object, world, relative tangent, absolute tangent which are from Mudbox.

Is there any solution or right way to get a same result?

I will look forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you for all of your support.

Best Regards,
    Sangho Jung.

When I tried it, I think I used absolute tangent mode when exporting from Mudbox, and then "Vector (absolute)" mode for the displacement in V-Ray.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      When I tried it, I think I used absolute tangent mode when exporting from Mudbox, and then "Vector (absolute)" mode for the displacement in V-Ray.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      Thank you Vlado,

Good to know the information. It makes me to do a test easily.
      There are many people who has an interesting for Vector Displacement.

I am testing with some options. It is getting better but it is not the same result yet between Mudbox and V-Ray for Maya.

Thanks once again.

Best Regards,
      Sangho Jung.

Comment

This is new image which is rendered with Vector Displacement.
        Left image is from MudBox and the other is from V-Ray for Maya.

Name:	new_vd.jpg
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	844320
        It looks much similar than before but I can not match it exactly.

And the setting is from MudBox.

Name:	mudBox.jpg
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	844319

Could it match them for the exactly same shape?

Thank you!!!!

Best Regards,
        Sangho Jung.

Comment

I love the result even if I can not match it exactly yet.

Thank you!!!!

Comment

Here is a short tutorial on rendering vector displacement from Mudbox:
            http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya...splacement.htm

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

One thing to way up is that displacement mapping in vray is slooow and the size of the displacement map vs the size of the actual geo my not be the most effective way to render. If your vdisp map is 100meg and your raw geo is only 20meg your better of rendering the geo as a vray proxy as it will render alot faster than that displacement map and less disk space + more accurate sculpt details.

Correct me guys if im missing some big puzzle piece here but displacement in vray vs renderman/3DL is almost not worth it due to speed?

Comment

Originally posted by Resin View Post
                One thing to way up is that displacement mapping in vray is slooow and the size of the displacement map vs the size of the actual geo my not be the most effective way to render. If your vdisp map is 100meg and your raw geo is only 20meg your better of rendering the geo as a vray proxy as it will render alot faster than that displacement map and less disk space + more accurate sculpt details.

Correct me guys if im missing some big puzzle piece here but displacement in vray vs renderman/3DL is almost not worth it due to speed?
                I would argue that displacement in V-Ray is not that slow, especially if you consider that V-Ray is raytracing it. Other than that, you are right that a proxy will render faster and it might be the best approach if you are rendering static objects. If you need to deform the object (f.e. if it is a character), it is unlikely that you would want to animate and deform the full displaced mesh. This is where having support for displacement is useful.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Last edited by vlado; 19-09-2011, 04:17 AM.

Comment

I would agree on the character displacement or deforming objects. In our experience vray proxys and instancing has been more affective than using a large number of hi res displacement maps for large scenes. Vlado do you have any tips on managing displacement / vector displacement?

Comment

Working...
                  X