Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird difference between buckets from Mac and Win7 via distributed rendering with GI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird difference between buckets from Mac and Win7 via distributed rendering with GI

I ran into weird issues by using distributed rendering between mac osx 10.6.7 and win7. First I was testing just from the win7 and trying to get rid of the already known noise we get by global illumination. After pumping up the settings right to heaven I started to use distributed rendering with my pc and my mac. The buckets coming from the mac are very fine and you see nearly no noise in the reflective light areas. But the buckets from my workstation(win7) do have the graininess in that areas.. So I guess the problem everybody has with the noise in the light areas are caused by the windows version of vray and not allone by changes in the dmc or anything else... When I render the same scene completely on the mac everything is fine. no noise even with lower subdivisions and anything else. By rendering it on the win version I get noise all over light, reflective areas.. So maybe that can help to find the problem you read in many threads about noise in general and gi .... !??

Click image for larger version

Name:	Test_DR_Mac_Win7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	873356Click image for larger version

Name:	Test_WIN7.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	873355

I rendered with BF/LC

edit: the first picture is from dr and the second is just from the win7...
    edit2: here comes the picture just from mac
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Test_Mac.jpg
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	873357
    Last edited by Sacha; 21-09-2011, 12:04 PM.
    best regards,
    sacha

Can you get me that scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com? I don't think there are any particular issues with the Windows version in terms of noise or DMC sampling; my guess is that the problem is elsewhere. Can't say much without a scene though.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

hey vlado,

thanks for the quick reply... while trying to cut the scene down to a reasonable size for sending it to you, I lost the behavior. So I'll try to pack it all together in the evening and send it tomorow to your ftp. It happens just with the complete scene. Would be very interesting, to see, what was causing that issue.
      best regards,
      sacha

Comment

I bet mac cant access one of textures...
        CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
          I bet mac cant access one of textures...
          hmmm.. I don't think so, the log doesn't tell me anything like that. When I started the setup of dr I had some problems with the textures but I guess it's another tiny thing, what's causing that. We'll see, what vlado finds I hope, I will get it packed today, because I have no time right now. maybe it'll take me some days to send the scene but I'll give my best.
          best regards,
          sacha

Comment

any results on this???
            Martin
            http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

I don't think we ever got the scene for this...

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

right, you didn't. I still have this issue from time to time.. sometimes just the light cache looks different but the render is ok, sometimes also the rendered result looks different. I switched my MacPro into a windows machine, thought it'll give me less trouble than the mixed setup. But still, from time to time that issue happens.. so I'll look right now, if I can find the scene, where it happened and send it.

edit: can't find it anymore.. So I have to wait, till it happens the next time. sorry
                Last edited by Sacha; 12-12-2011, 09:48 AM.
                best regards,
                sacha

Comment

Working...
                X