X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay proxy shading issue

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble with vrmeshes.
    I have converted my OBJ (with UVs) (million of polys) with the ply2vrmesh converter, so I have a Vrmesh ready to render.

The problem is : when I import it into my scene to start shading it, my maps are not taken in account.
    I don't understand, Do I have to shade the object before I convert it to VRmesh ? Or Am I doing something wrong ?

I tried several parameters in my vraymesh Mtl (Use proxy shaders etc...) but I could'nt get it to work.

thank you in advance.

Hi,

Unfortunately, we do not support multiple materials in obj files.
    This feature is supported only, when converting .geo and .bgeo files.
    I'll add this feature request to our TODO, so we won't forget about it.

Is this feature important and urgent?

/Teodor
    V-Ray developer

Comment

It would be cool indeed,

How can I convert my .obj to .geo files ?

Comment

You need Houdini or something else which supports importing .objs and exporting to .geo or .bgeo.
        V-Ray developer

Comment

Why you do not import your .obj in Maya, add your materials, and convert all to .vrmesh from Maya ?
          www.deex.info

Comment

If I do as you say,

Will I be able to tweak the shader once I've imported the vrmesh ?

Comment

When using vrmeshes, V-Ray assings a special VRayMeshMaterial, which can be used to connect your materials to the mesh.

See the help at http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya...mtl_params.htm
              V-Ray developer

Comment

yes of course,
                but the maps plugged into the shader are not taken in account... just like if my object has no UVs.

Comment

Can you give a more thorough explanation of what you are doing and what is wrong, because I'm a little bit confused?

Do you have multiple uv channels in the proxy file or you're using a single channel?
                  Where do you get the proxy from, is it converted with ply2vrmesh or is it generated from maya?

hint: if you've used ply2vrmesh to generate the proxy file, you have to use the mapChannel flag. See this explanation:

Code:
                    -mapChannel <chanIndex> - stores the UVW coordinates to the specified mapping
                                       channel (default is 1). Only valid for .obj and .geo files.
                                       When exporting a mesh that will be used in Maya, currently
                                       this must be set to 0 or the textures on the mesh will
                                       not render properly
                  V-Ray developer

Comment

Working...
                  X