Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instancing = massive memory consumption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instancing = massive memory consumption?

Hi there,

I was wondering, on a large scene, I've instanced about 4 or 5 V-Ray proxies around the ground (in the thousands) and I'm getting around 12g worth during my rendering and very long render times. I'm using spPaint MEL to initiate the instancing and scattering the objects around:

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/do...sc/c/sppaint3d

However when I delete all instances and have just the original V-Ray Proxie and render, the render-time is quick and memory consumption is reduced to an expected 3-4gigs.
    Maya 2013.x64 and

[2013/Feb/6|14:13:56] V-Ray: V-Ray for Maya version 2.25.01, revision 22704 from Feb 4 2013, 02:47:14
    [2013/Feb/6|14:13:56] V-Ray: V-Ray core version is 2.00.02

Unfortunately the scene is too complex and large to upload anywhere. Has anyone else noticed this? I was under the impression that the point of instancing geometry was that each proxy shared the same memory?
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

Just confirmed, I seem to be getting the same "problem" with geometry instancing via Maya's particles.

I can't seem to recall this ever being a problem, hopefully this is just something to do with the latest nightly

Click image for larger version

Name:	fine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	616.0 KB
ID:	846814
    Expected result, I have "Skipped Rendering" the 20,000 proxies

Click image for larger version

Name:	bad.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	587.1 KB
ID:	846813
    Bad Result, I have enabled rendering of the 20,000 proxies and V-Ray seems to be unable to render and memory consumtpion was still climing over 10gb before cancelling
    Last edited by snivlem; 05-02-2013, 08:47 PM.
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

Comment

Can you get me a scene for this?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Okay, I have trimmed the scene down to bare-bones, I have sent through the scene to your email with the same subject line.
        Maya 2020/2022
        Win 10x64
        Vray 5

Comment

Thanks we can reproduce the RAM usage here and we are looking into it.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
          X