Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast SSS Render Issue

Hey All,

Running into some serious discrepancies in SSS quality between what VRAY renders in maya interactively and what I get rendering on our farm in either in maya batch or command line. Images attach below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	collapse0150_FG_CHAR_v009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	877244Click image for larger version

Name:	collapse0150_FG_CHAR_v009broken.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	877245

This seems to be specific to when the camera is close to the character. The blue error you see comes about when an object is moving fast close to the camera. In either case the overall the SSS quality is MUCH less then in the test render. Even pushing the pre-pass rate past 1 and incurring drastically longer render times doesn't fix the issue. I've tried baking the GI with irradiance map blending, Brute Force, and even turning the GI off. So its not tied to the GI in any way.

This is happening in several shots that meet those standards.

It does seem tied to the camera somehow as it gets worse closer to the edge of the frame. In one shot making the near clipping plane smaller seemed to help.

Currently using v2.3. Not on the nightly builds. We are using Deadline as our render manager. We switched to maya 2013 mid project from 2011 and thats when we seemed to start running into this issue. I cant confirm this though as unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I can get our current files running in 2011 now that we've made the switch.

Hope you can help cause I've tried every trick I can think of.

Matt Berenty

That actually looks like the gi map isn't being correctly calculated as it seems like light sample artifacts. Have you baked any of these parts out?

What'd be worth doing is setting off a render with the diffuse fiflter, raw gi, sss2 and lighting pass to see if anything related to maps has any kind of error in them so at least you can chase it down to one aspect of the render and work from there. For what it's worth I've had a lot of problems with deadline in 3dsmax trying to do things that are helpful but actually causing a lot of issues in renders, and a lot of them are default options in the submitter.

Comment

Yeah I have all the passes split out and its only showing up in the SSS pass. This error shows up with or without the GI. I did try baking the GI though when I thought that might be it(irradiance map blending, and straight brute force). So I dont think its tied to that. When it first showed up I thought he might be going through a light but that's definitely not it either.

Tried all the different settings I can find in the deadline submitter and nothing makes a difference.

Matt
      Last edited by WOLF_CROW; 13-02-2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Can you get me a scene where I can reproduce this?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Will take some definite prep time but I'll do my best.

Matt

Comment

Working...
          X