Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dome light Light Select Renderelement changes color when GI is toggled...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
    Also regarding RAW passes. As far as I remember they come out a bit incorect from 2.xx version of vray and only 3.0 has it corrected - I might be wrong here.
    If you are referring to the edge issues, this is correct yes.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

First: Thanks Dmitry for taking the time to test this.....appreciate it! (Actually didnt know a sunlight could have a light select)
      Because of MIS (multiple importance sampling), when GI is enabled, part of the lighting is computed as direct lighting from the dome light, and part of it is picked up from the GI. When both are added together, you get the correct result. If your comps are set up correctly, as Dmitry pointed out, the render elements still add up perfectly to the beauty element.
      No doubt they are adding up to the beauty, that was not the issue for me. The issue was more of a workflow issue. When lookdeving i usually turn GI off, since its much faster without when you are tweaking stuff that just doesnt need it, like direct lighting, shaders etc. And you usually know what you get from GI, some subtle lighting on surfaces close to other surfaces. Its basically the expensive extra you just turn on at the very end, since it doesnt influence all the other work you carefully did before (Basically you turn it on before you send it on the farm...).
      So i was pretty surprised when i saw that extreme change in the direct lighting (dome light) when toggling GI. To me, beeing able to turn that off in Vray 3 seems like a usefull option...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	gi_pass_comparison.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	552.6 KB
ID:	851345
      Would have loved to do the current production on Vray3. We had a lecturer here at Filmakademie just few days ago and he was full of praise for the version 3 (for Maya)
      Last edited by timmwagener; 02-02-2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X