Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRayMtlWrapper: How to make character shadow pick up tint from the baseMtl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayMtlWrapper: How to make character shadow pick up tint from the baseMtl?

Hi all,

I have a scene with the following setup: animated character, VraySun&Sky, GI enabled (BF/LC), a ground object with VRayMtlWrapper set to Generate GI/Receive GI:On, Generate caustics/Receive caustics:Off, Matte surface:enabled, Alpha contribution:-1, Shadows/Affect Alpha:On, with a red-dirt-ish VrayMtl appllied in the Base material slot.

Now, I'm trying to catch the character with a proper shadow/alpha, which works fine more or less except the shadow and alpha-"halo" pick up the tint(gray/blue-ish) from the VraySky texture, which is not really what I want.

How do I make the VRayMtlWrapper shadow pick up the tint (red-ish) from baseMtl instead,where the character is "over" the ground, ideally without altering the environment?

Cheers!

Hi,

Would it be possible to attach a simple scene representing the issue you have?
    Also which V-Ray version you are using?
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hello, did we get a resolution to this problem ?
      Have been having the same problem here quite a lot, always when using VRayMtlWrapper (not using sun or sky, so that's not where the tint is coming from).
      We're getting halo's, or more accurately described: dropout in the darker areas of shadow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ShadowKnockout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	854612
      illustration of problem
      Last edited by ricoholmes; 12-11-2014, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Would it be possible to send us maya scene along with the final composition?
        Let us also know the exact version of V-Ray and Maya that you are using.

Thank you very much in advance.
        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Svetlozar Draganov - you can ignore the email I just sent.

I located the problem -- it was because the light (VRayRect) shadow color was set to black. if it's set to (value) 0.001 almost black it works fine

Last edited by ricoholmes; 13-11-2014, 02:54 AM. Reason: "shadow color" not "color"

Comment

That was stable release 3.00.01
            Just got nightlies access last night so will install now and confirm closure of the problem

edit - lastest nightly 141113 still has the problem, but at least we know the cause for now.
            Last edited by ricoholmes; 13-11-2014, 02:53 AM.

Comment

It is still a good idea to send us the scene for investigation since the issue could turn out to be a bug.

Comment

There is something wrong with V-Ray Light in the scene, if I replace it with new light with the same settings it works as it should.

Comment

Hmm yes I can confirm that - I replaced it with a new light with the same settings and that one worked fine.

Could it be because it created in an older version ov Vray ? (Beta) I've seen this problem turn up a number of times on other scenes. At least I know the fix now.

Comment

Yes it could be because the light is created with beta version and for some reason it doesn't work well in the official one.

Comment

Well, we agree to potential problems when we sign up for Beta programs, so things like that can only be expected.
                      Beta was exceptionally stable and useable all those months, so I can only be thankful really

Again, we're aware of the source of the problem now, and the fix. Thank you for the outstanding support as always here.

Comment

Working...
                      X