Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBL reflection problem

Hi all,

I'm trying to use an HDR image texture for IBL and an environmental reflection as well, but I can't seem to get it to look right (to my eyes).
    The procedure I used was to create a vray dome light. Check "Use dome tex" and assign the hdri image to the Dome tex.

I've attached two images.

IBL_noReflection is without "Affect reflections" being checked. This looks right to me.
    The shading all seems to be coming from the right areas of the image. Inside the nostrils and the top of the lower lip seem dark as I would expect with them being in shadow.

IBL_Reflection has "Affect reflections" checked. Now you can see the inside of the nostril seems to be reflecting the top of the HDR image. As if the reflection isn't being occluded by the rest of the nose. The same with the lower lip.

Does this make sense? Have I set anything up wrong?
    Attached Files

Do you use same V-Ray HDRI map for both slots, Dome light and GI relflection env. override?
    Can you post part of the scene here to check the entire setup?
    By the way, which V-Ray version is this?
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Tashko,

There's only one slot. I'm using the "Dome Tex" slot to load the image into the dome light and checking "Affect Reflections" to allow it to act as an environment reflection.
      I don't think I'm loading it as a "Vray HDRI" map. When I create the render node I'm just using the standard maya "file" node.
      I can't see anything that looks like a special "Vray hdri" node. Where should I find it?

I'm using 3.0

Thanks

Comment

Here's a cut down version of the scene.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for attaching part of your file.
          Actually those weird reflections are due to the Render Stats setup of the head geo. Visible in Reflect./Refractions is unchecked.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-19 09_57_42}.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	855619
          If you enable both of them, then you should be able to get correct reflections with Dome light Affect Reflections enabled.

I don't think I'm loading it as a "Vray HDRI" map. When I create the render node I'm just using the standard maya "file" node.
          I can't see anything that looks like a special "Vray hdri" node. Where should I find it?
          Sorry about that, it's my mistake. V-Ray HDRI is available in V-Ray for 3DS Max.
          Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
          X