Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRayMtl refraction won't work unless the normals face the camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayMtl refraction won't work unless the normals face the camera?

Hi,

Im wondering how I should setup the shaders to get correct refraction rendering of the water and a ferry viewing under the water. The refraction looks correct if the geometry normals face the camera. But when the camera goes under water, it seems to me the refraction is not working unless I reverse the normals.

Can anyone please help me solve this problem?

Thanks,

Cherry
    Last edited by cherry0602; 26-03-2015, 07:31 PM.

I thought it was viewing from water to air, not air to water. So I also changed the IOR of the backface VRayMtl to 1/1.33. But it's still not working...

Cherry

Comment

Would it be possible to attach a screenshots from above and under the water and along simplified version of the scene for investigation?
      What type of geometry is used for the water, a flat plane or volumetric object?
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Hi Svetlozar,

The water is a plane. The normals are facing down. So the camera under water has refraction working, but the camera above water doesnt. I attached three images here. Click image for larger version

Name:	underwater.png
Views:	1
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	855712Click image for larger version

Name:	fromTop.png
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	855713Click image for larger version

Name:	side.png
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	855714

Cherry

Comment

Proper functioning of the Refraction parameter requires volumetric-object.
          Please make sure that the water-object has some volume and the water appearance will be the same regardless the camera position.
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
          X