Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya Fluids in VRay / Lack of Detail?

Hi!

I'm trying to render maya fluids with vray and the phoenix shader. Compared to a mental ray render of the same frame the image lacks detail, it seems. The mental ray rendering nearly perfectly matches the viewport preview.
    Now - how can I get closer to the viewport image with vray? I'm pretty sure that it can be achieved, but maybe someone who does volumes more often can help on this. The alphas are exactly the same, btw. I think it must be some differences in the handling of he opacity/transparency, but I can't figure out how to get there.

Thanks!

Viewport:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vol_viewport.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	881540

mental ray:

Name:	vol_mray.JPG
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	881539

vray:

Name:	vol_vray.JPG
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	881541

I can't seem much of a difference, the grid looks pretty low res. You can try without using light cache (from the VRay extra attributes option of the fluid).
    V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Thanks.
      Yes, the container is not that highres, just ignore the artifacts at the bottom. I'm speaking about the area left to the big dark spot. For me there's more contrast and accent in the mray image, don;t you think. Also vray tends to have a wider feathering on the edges, but that will be gone once composited, i think. Maybe I just have to readjust the colors, but I hoped that someone would say something like "Yeah, once you apply X to the Y curve everything will look identical."

Comment

I don't think it's a matter of more or less detail, just the lighting is less contrasty in the V-Ray image.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
        X