Setting up Distributed Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up Distributed Rendering

I just purchased a new Boxx computer and a Boxx RenderPro2.

I talked to Boxx and they said I needed to make sure I have Maya installed on the renderpro and to set up a shared folder between the two machines.

Does anyone have experience with this and could you possibly help me?

If you intend to use the second machine only for DR rendering, you don't need Maya there and you don't necessarily need shared folders. You just need to install V-Ray with render server installation type.

You will need to turn on the "transfer missing assets" option if your textures are not on a file server somewhere.

If you want to use the machine for batch render through backburner, then you will need a Maya installation.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado.

So I need to install V-Ray with render server type on the second machine, or both machines?

Where is the download for this?

Is there an additional cost for this or can I use my vray 3 license information?

Comment

Also...

What is the major difference between Batch Rendering and Vray Distributed Rendering?

Comment

Originally posted by l1tay2 View Post
          Thanks Vlado.

So I need to install V-Ray with render server type on the second machine, or both machines?

Where is the download for this?

Is there an additional cost for this or can I use my vray 3 license information?
          You need a full install on your main machine and a server install on your second machine.
          There is no additional download, you can use the same installation you already have, but you will need an additional Render Node license.
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
          www.chaos.com

Comment

Also...

What is the major difference between Batch Rendering and Vray Distributed Rendering?
            Batch rendering is a Maya feature that utilizes Maya without running its GUI, it can run in a command prompt - this way it will use a bit less resources. It will rely on both Maya and VRay being installed.
            VRay DR on the other hand only relies on itself, it does not require Maya to be installed on every machine. VRay for Maya will contact the DR machines and send them a .vrscene file (which stands fro vray scene).
            You can read a bit more about it here: http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...ering+Settings
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Thank you Alex.

Question - I already have a full install on my main machine. Can you elaborate by what you mean a server install on my second machine? Where do I find this and how do I install?

As far as the additional Render Node License, will this include a dongle as well?

Comment

Just use the regular V-Ray for Maya installer and when asked choose Standalone only instead of Full.

Also you can check the docs at http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...d+Installation
                V-Ray developer

Comment

Thank you. I will try this when I get home.

Comment

To render at two machines at the same time you will need two Render Node licenses.
                    When you install server only on your second machine, you can click Customize to set up the licensing and you can direct it to the machine where you're running your license server.
                    You can also do this after the installation with the Change License Settings tool (start menu > all programs > Chaos Group > V-Ray > <Maya version>

If you're running the dongle license on your main machine, then the license server is running there. You need to tell the "server only" machine to get its license from the IP of the main machine.
                    Here's more info on this: http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...+your+Licenses

Let me know if there's anything else you need help with.
                    Alex Yolov
                    Product Manager
                    www.chaos.com

Comment

Considering I ONLY want to use the renderpro for rendering and not the main workstation, do I still need an additional render node license?

Comment

No, you only need as much licenses as the number of machines you're rendering on at the same time.
                        If you're starting the render from Maya with DR to another machine, make sure to tick off "use local machine" in the DR settings.
                        This way the machine with Maya will not render (it will use the V-Ray for Maya license) and the "standalone only" machine will only render (it will use the Render Node license).
                        Last edited by yolov; 28-04-2016, 10:29 AM.
                        Alex Yolov
                        Product Manager
                        www.chaos.com

Comment

My plan is to not use Maya's batch render. Only use Vray DR.

I now know I only need the included render node license. If I get another renderpro in the future, I will only then need a new render node license.

Question -

Do I need to launch the Vray License Server on BOTH machines when i want to render out a scene?

Comment

Do I need to launch the Vray License Server on BOTH machines when i want to render out a scene?
                            No. The lisence server needs to run on the same machine where you've plugged the dongle. It doesn't matter which machine that will be. Then the machine where it's running (say, machine1) will need its license settings to be "local", and the other one (machine2) to be set to "remote". In this case you can tell the "change license settings" tool on machine1 to get license from 127.0.0.01 and machine2 - from the IP of machine1.
                            Last edited by yolov; 28-04-2016, 11:59 AM.
                            Alex Yolov
                            Product Manager
                            www.chaos.com

Comment

Thank you for the explanation Alex. I will let you know if I run into any issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X