Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• material viewer rendering slows down UI

Hi,

I am not sure if this is a Maya issue or a control you can get/set in Vray. When I preview a material or texture in the newly added Material Viewer window, it seems pulling all my CPUs for rendering the shader preview that slows down my UI interaction. As far as I know, you can't pause the Material Viewer update, which means to gain the UI smooth control back, I have to constantly open and close the Material Viewer window.

Any workaround to have Vray dedicate fewer CPU threads to the Material Viewer rendering so I can have decent UI control for tweaking parameters and only close the Material Viewer window when I am done with look-dev that shader?

Thanks.
    always curious...

I remember that we specifically made it run quickly, since it's basically a separate vray render with the progressive sampler. But we might have let it use all available threads, I need to check this. We can probably make it use 1 thread so you don't get locked out until it finishes updating.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

We use as many threads as Maya tells us to use for the material editor preview. I think this is the number of cores in the machine minus one, but I have to check.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks guys! would be great to have a way to save couple more threads for UI. Otherwise, it makes Maya really hard to use as long as the Material Viewer window is up.
        always curious...

Comment

I second this... I'm having Maya hang up a little when the Hypershade is open... It would be great to have a pause button for the preview or something. Awesome new feature anyway!

Comment

EXT2 has a working pause button in the material viewer.
            Last edited by pechart; 18-05-2016, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Ahh nice! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X