render mask "Isolate Select" not working with IPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snivlem View Post
    I'm convinced this doesn't seem to be working on the official build. No matter what I do, the whole IPR refreshes and never just the isolated objects I have in the viewport.

Edit: ^ That sounds like a really negative tone, sorry - I don't mean it.

Not sure why this could happen. One thing that could happen is that Maya has different Isolate Select sets for the different viewports. We use the set for the viewport that we are rendering. If you are isolating the objects in another viewport, it shouldn't work.
    V-Ray for Maya dev team lead

Comment

OP deleted as the request doesn't make sense.
      Last edited by jasonhuang1115; 27-04-2017, 02:13 PM.
      always curious...

Comment

Originally posted by jasonhuang1115 View Post
        For example, if I am lookdev-ing shaders for a car. I isolate carpaint objects in IPR with renderMaskClear On, I cannot tumble camera to tweak carpaint shader while moving camera and evaluating the carpaint shader against the chrome parts and window glasses that are sitting next to carpaint objects.
        I'm a bit lost here already, you'll have to forgive me. And you'll have to help me understand that a bit better - what do you mean by "changing" camera views (from the previous posts)? If you rotate the camera (pan, zoom, dolly, etc), you'll have the "unwanted" overlay. The only way around that is to clear the buffer from that overlay, but the only thing left around the isolated object will be, well, "nothing", i.e. black. Did you mean something else?
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Sorry about that Yolov. I just think again and what I was hoping to see is basically updating the whole scene.... Ignore what I wrote in the last post, please.

Still, I think there is room to improve the IPR isolate objects workflow. Here is a video where I feel the workflow is a bit more streamlined.
          https://youtu.be/4RIiMRgNpB4?t=10m
          Users don't need to go to Render Settings to toggle "Isolate Select" mask and hit "Ctrl + 1" hotkey to IPR with isolated objects. Everything is done in the frame buffer window. Although, our current implementation does allow one to isolate multiple objects and IPR them simultaneously, whereas in competitor's render view one can only select one object a time.
          always curious...

Comment

Hi Jason,

Running
            Code:
            setAttr vraySettings.renderMaskClear 1;
            As Yolov suggested should clear the frame buffer and objects outside the isolated selection would appear black. You can also select objects in the VFB and toggle isolate select with the hotkey while inside the VFB. It's not the same as the workflow in the video, but kind of similar.

Best regards,
            Mihail

Comment

Sorry about that Yolov. I just think again and what I was hoping to see is basically updating the whole scene.... Ignore what I wrote in the last post, please.

Still, I think there is room to improve the IPR isolate objects workflow. Here is a video where I feel the workflow is a bit more streamlined.
              https://youtu.be/4RIiMRgNpB4?t=10m
              Users don't need to go to Render Settings to toggle "Isolate Select" mask and hit "Ctrl + 1" hotkey to IPR with isolated objects. Everything is done in the frame buffer window. Although, our current implementation does allow one to isolate multiple objects and IPR them simultaneously, whereas in competitor's render view one can only select one object a time.
              I see what you mean, but I'm not sure if we're going to implement it in the same way as the competition
              In any case, keeping the render mask in "isolate select" mode at all times will do exactly what you're after - if no object are isolated - everything will be rendered, if something is isolated - only the isolated objects will be rendered. I don't think we'll change the defaults, though, but you can do a render settings preset and use it. See how that feels workflow-wise.
              Alex Yolov
              Product Manager
              www.chaos.com

Comment

Thanks Mihail and yolov! With your clarifications and the script, I am able to get a better hang of this feature. It does seem that simply setting the render mask as "isolate select" is a good approach during lookdev.

I will do some test drive sessions to see if I can come up with suggestions to improve the workflow, if any.

Originally posted by yolov View Post
                I see what you mean, but I'm not sure if we're going to implement it in the same way as the competition
                In any case, keeping the render mask in "isolate select" mode at all times will do exactly what you're after - if no object are isolated - everything will be rendered, if something is isolated - only the isolated objects will be rendered. I don't think we'll change the defaults, though, but you can do a render settings preset and use it. See how that feels workflow-wise.
                always curious...

Comment

Hi for my problem.

There are two methods in Maya to isolate in viewport. I use ToggleIsolateSelect which doesn't work.
                  When using ToggleIsolateSelect command through the hotbox, this won't activate the "View Selected" tickbox which I assume is what V-Ray needs for this to work.

So the workaround is just to use "View Selected" tickbox in the VP2 panels menu under "show > isolate selected"
                  Last edited by snivlem; 30-04-2017, 05:47 PM.
                  Maya 2020/2022
                  Win 10x64
                  Vray 5

Comment

When you say ToggleIsolateSelect , you mean shift+i right? Or something else? Because shift+i and ctrl+1 should work just fine (they seem to do the same thing).
                    Alex Yolov
                    Product Manager
                    www.chaos.com

Comment

Edit: Actually, no this is broken for me. V-Ray is ignoring render isolate selected with shift+i too. Happy to send in a screencast showing the issue and also the scene.
                      Last edited by snivlem; 01-05-2017, 05:37 PM.
                      Maya 2020/2022
                      Win 10x64
                      Vray 5

Comment

I managed to replicate the issue, there is no need to send anything for now.
                        Edit: OK it didn't worked because I forgot to select Isolate Selected render mask, if that's selected it works.
                        Please note that the previous buffer won't be cleared so object rendered before activating Ctrl+1 will stay in the VFB but as soon as you move the camera you'll notice that only visible objects will be recalculated.
                        For the next version we'll have an option to clear the buffer, as for now you have to do that manually.
                        Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 02-05-2017, 01:06 AM.
                        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by snivlem View Post
                          Edit: Actually, no this is broken for me. V-Ray is ignoring render isolate selected with shift+i too. Happy to send in a screencast showing the issue and also the scene.
                          Have you set the render mask mode to "isolate select"? V-Ray uses the render mask to support that.

Originally posted by yolov View Post
                          You can use this MEL line to force the VFB to clear and it should work for this case. We'll try to put a checkbox in the interface for the next patch:
                          Code:
                          setAttr vraySettings.renderMaskClear 1;
                          Here's the description of the possible attribute values: 0 (Force off) | 1 (Force on) | 2 (On - the default, clears the render mask in all modes except for "isolate select")
                          Last edited by yolov; 02-05-2017, 01:15 AM.
                          Alex Yolov
                          Product Manager
                          www.chaos.com

Comment

Hi Mihail and Yolov,

I just watched the youtube introduction of this Isolate Select feature. It's definitely useful in several situations. However, I was wondering if I want to look-dev a material with this feature, I will highly likely tumble the camera around during IPR to evaluate the tweaked material of isolated objects. But this overlay effect totally defeats the purpose in this scenario. Am I using this feature wrong of it's meant to be used when camera is locked down for a still image?
                            We'll add a checkbox to control the clearing of the previous result.

@snivlem
                            Do you have the render mask enabled and set to "Isolate Select"? Also, are you rendering from the same viewport that the objects are isolated in?

Comment

Working...
                            X