Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with smooth-skinning a renderable curve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with smooth-skinning a renderable curve.

Two minor issues...

1. Smooth-skinning a curve with a RenderableCurve applied produces duplicate curves at render time due to the "shapeOrig" node. Turning off visibility on the shapeOrig node is easy enough but it'd be nice if I didn't have to worry about it.
    2. Smooth-skinned renderable curves do not produce any data in the Velocity render element.... In fact it appears to break velocity data for all curves in a scene, even if they aren't skinned.

Applying the RenderableCurve before or after skinning does not appear to make a difference. Is this a bug or am I missing a checkbox somewhere?

MacOS 10.10.5
    V-Ray 3.6.03
    Maya 2017 Update 5

Sample scene is attached.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

I don't really see the problem with this scene. There's two curve objects inside a renderableCurves set - both render just fine, if that's the expected result. The velocity is there and looks fine. Tested with 2017.5 and 3.60.03.
    Can you upload an image that shows the problem?
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

And when I open the file again, of course it works fine for me as well. So here's a stripped-down scene from production. There are a lot of curves on the model that I've set as renderable and none of them are producing velocity data...

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the scene. I got a chance to look at it, and something really weird is going on.
        I'll pass it on to the developers to see how this can be fixed, but it only happens with only those five curves in the first renderable curves set.

Until the developers figure out what's wrong, I've found that setting the tessellation to 1 in the "thick" renderable curves set fixes the problem, so hopefully you can use this as a workaround (the tessellation doesn't visually change much, so I hope this could do the trick until there's a fix).
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        www.chaos.com

Comment

I didn't even think to test tessellation. That work-around will be just fine for the shots I'm working on. Thanks Alex!

Comment

Good to hear it's going to work for you. Hopefully the devs will figure out what's wrong and fix it.
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
            X