Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add Coat Layer to Standard VRayMtl.

Hi,

are you planning to add a standard Coat layer (and Coat Thickness) to the standard VRayMtl soon?

Thanks.

Why not using the BlendMat.?
    https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
    Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Comment

For that to work you have to use Additive blending and then you can easily break energy conservation. It'd be best to have coat layer within an energy conserving material like Arnold/Renderman etc.

Comment

This is the method I have had recommended to preserve energy conservation is to make the second spec with fresnel disabled (so it's just 100% reflective), then use a vrayFresnel node to blend between that and the original material.

Though I don't know if it's strictly accurate, maybe someone at Chaos Group can confirm? If not, I think I would sooner have a more robust officially sanctioned shader or workflow too add any arbitrary amount of films and coatings to any material (So it would also work with SSS2, StochasticFlakes, OSL, raw BRDFs, etc.), and also support things like glossyfresnel.
        __
        https://surfaceimperfections.com/

Comment

are you planning to add a standard Coat layer (and Coat Thickness) to the standard VRayMtl soon?
          Yes, we do plan to add a coat layer, although I'm not sure when it will get into a build yet.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Yes, we do plan to add a coat layer, although I'm not sure when it will get into a build yet.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            Great to hear! I was loosing faith that it will ever happen.
            It'll be a seperate material to use in the blend mtl, not an additional reflection layer in the standart mtl right?
            German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

We have to do a layer in the regular VRayMtl material in any case so we will do that first. A separate material with proper glossy Fresnel support for the blend material turned out to be more complicated, especially on the GPU, so it will have to be done as a second step.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Interesting News.
                Thanks Vlado.
                https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
                Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Comment

Great News Vlado. I look forward to using it.

Comment

wizlon would you share any material cases which would benefit from it? First thing I can think of is lacquered wood? Anything painted with a clear coat I guess?
                    My Artstation
                    Whether it is an advantageous position or a disadvantageous one, the opposite state should be always present to your mind. -
                    Sun Tsu

Comment

Working...
                    X