Stereographic Fisheye lens for the vray camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereographic Fisheye lens for the vray camera

When filming 360 panoramic drone shots they output so called 'little planet' images, which are created through a stereographic fisheye lens. I can't find this type of lens in the vray extra camera options. The available fisheye lens has a lot more squish around the edges no matter how I set its curvature and distance.

Is it possible to add this lens type to VRay or is there an easy way of defining custom lens geometry in VRay?

Hi, thanks for posting. Are you creating a photo match to the fisheye camera footage? It would be better if you remove the distortion from the lenses in photoshop and then work with the linearized image. You can then distort the assembled image (photo and 3D rendering) again as a post rendering process. Please check these threads as well:
    - https://forums.chaos.com/forum/chaos...th-evo-2-drone
    - https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...ens-distortion

Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I'll add some clarification.

We're trying to render an animation in Maya with a stereographic fisheye lens in order to put it through a special 360 projector. There is no compositing on existing footage involved. This specific type of lens maps onto the projection screen without distortion, minimizing the required resolution of the render to make it sharp everywhere.

For reference, the fisheye lens used in a Redshift for Maya camera is stereographic,while the fisheye lens in VRay is something else, with a lot more compression near the edges (I think it's orthographic,but the math of the lens is not accessible in Maya)

Comment

I see. In this case there has to be code changes to the fish eye camera. Have you tested with spherical panorama? Will it be a possible workaround?
        Click image for larger versionName:	maya_2024-01-12_17-08-41.jpgViews:	0Size:	60.1 KBID:	1199640
        Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X