Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya Toon V-Ray extra attributes

Hi there,

One thing that would be swell, is to have V-Ray extra attributes on the pfxToonShape node.

Perhaps settings like

Cast Shadows
    Contribute to GI
    Visible in Refractions
    Visible in Reflections

etc...

Currently it seems heavy outlines from the toon shader significantly degrade the irradiance map quality so it would be nice to be able to turn off contribution with a checkbox.
    Last edited by snivlem; 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM.
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

Originally posted by snivlem View Post
    Currently it seems heavy outlines from the toon shader significantly degrade the irradiance map quality so it would be nice to be able to turn off contribution with a checkbox.
    Do you have an example for this? I thought the toon shader was supposed to not contribute anything to GI (at least that's how it works in 3ds Max).

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi,
      Can you send a scene with the described toon shader problem.

Ivan Ivanov
      V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        Do you have an example for this? I thought the toon shader was supposed to not contribute anything to GI (at least that's how it works in 3ds Max).
        Hi Vlado, below is an example. It is not as significant as I thought but there still seems to be an influence. By Toon Shader I mean in Maya by selecting an object and Toon > Assign Outline to which maya creates a pfxToonShape which is what seems to influence the irradiance map

Click image for larger version

Name:	6-02-2012 9-54-12 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	844975
        The really thin black line on both renders is just vrayEdges and can be ignored.

Name:	6-02-2012 9-55-11 AM.jpg
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	844976
        No pfx toon outline on the left, pfx toon outline on the right.

Originally posted by ivan.ivanov View Post
        Hi,
        Can you send a scene with the described toon shader problem.
        Sure. I will try and upload a scene.

vrayTest.zip

Edit: Above is the scene, if you render, then delete or skip rendering the pfxToon1 shape node and render again, there is a difference between renders (irradiance map should be slightly lesser quality and darker).

What I propose is to have extra attributes on the pfxToon1 node as in the first post. Even if this is just a bug it would be nice to have turn off in reflections/refractions for pfxNodes as to obtain a speed increase in renders.

Thanks guys.
        Last edited by snivlem; 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM.
        Maya 2020/2022
        Win 10x64
        Vray 5

Comment

Instead of a new thread, can I also please request the same extra vray attributes for curves (ie after adding a Renderable attribute to a curveShape in Maya)!

Cast Shadows
          Contribute to GI
          Visible in Refractions
          Visible in Reflections

Thanks once again!
          Maya 2020/2022
          Win 10x64
          Vray 5

Comment

Hi,
            Thanks for submitting your scene. We reproduced the problem you are talking about. VRay not support Maya's PaintEffects. Instead pfxToonShape you can use VRayToon from Create > V-Ray > Create VRayToon.

Ivan Ivanov
            V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the reply. I understand now I know PaintEffects is not supported.

I'm curious though, is there any chance of V-Ray supporting it in the future? I mean PaintEffects seems to render remarkably well so far! It would be a very handy addition to the already good set of tools in V-Ray.

Thanks!
              Maya 2020/2022
              Win 10x64
              Vray 5

Comment

V-Ray does support paint effects to some extent (we need this for hair), but not completely. We'll see about the Maya toon effect though - I didn't even know that it rendered in V-Ray at all In the meantime, you can use V-Ray's own toon shader.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Haha no worries, thanks Vlado. Until this thread I had no idea it was unsupported as well as it works quite well with most, if not all, of the Maya Toon attributes.

To slightly change the topic, is it at all possible to add in those same user attributes to the vrayNurbsCurveRenderable attribute please, or the Wishlist?

I can't seem to find a way to get rid of casting shadows on nurbs curves and they too seem to influence the GI solution.

Name:	8-02-2012 11-21-46 AM.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	844980

Name:	8-02-2012 12-18-18 PM.jpg
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	844981

Thank you!
                  Last edited by snivlem; 07-02-2012, 06:22 PM.
                  Maya 2020/2022
                  Win 10x64
                  Vray 5

Comment

Working...
                  X