higher resolution textures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• higher resolution textures

It seems that the 8K texture resolution limit is an issue with Maya Software.
    And since AD doesn't fix this legacy issue I'm searching for alternatives

Would it be possible to develop a vray texture node that bypasses that limitation?
    Something that also handles alpha channels more intuitive ... and perhaps an integrated layering system ^^

I never noticed that my textures were limited to 8k... are they? o.O

Try using vrayHDR node to input ur larger textures. That should work.
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

What exactly is happening with big textures? We just get the texture name from the file node, and do not have much to to with Maya.
      V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

well - you simply don't see them, neither in viewport, ae, hypershade, uv-texture editor ...
        and maya prints a warning (... is too big)

vray actually renders them
        but without the possibility to edit larger textures thats cumbersome

any workarounds
        we usually produce two versions of the texture - but that's so time-consuming!!!

Comment

Yea that's just maya being shit. U want big textures in viewport you can either use old viewport preview - NOT the 2.0. It usually allows from time to time to show bigger textures. The other work around is to go to max or other package. Maya is terrible with its viewport.

Comment

Maya is limited to 8k in the viewport, you can see that in Pref under Display.

I don't think there is anything you can do about it.
            Portfolio: http://www.cgifocus.co.uk

Comment

Many time in maya when you type higher number than what is limited in UI it actually works. Try typing higher number/restarting/see if it works then.

Comment

Originally posted by Dariusz Makowski (Dadal) View Post
                Many time in maya when you type higher number than what is limited in UI it actually works. Try typing higher number/restarting/see if it works then.

Not in this particular case. Maya won't let do it. it also limits it to 4 characters....

Comment

a real show stopper

i wonder how other facilities do - do they just guess how to texture their assets?!

Comment

I often work with textures bigger than 8k. But the texture is created in Mari or Photoshop.

Also in the Hypershade, have you tried to ctlr+LMB or double click the thumbnail, that should make it visible.

yannick

Comment

Originally posted by mayanic View Post
                      i wonder how other facilities do - do they just guess how to texture their assets?!
                      The actual texturing is often done in dedicated packages like Mari, meaning you really don't need to see the textures in Maya's viewport. If you really need to, you can always use lower resolution versions while working and just replace them when it's time to render.

EDIT: For the record, I've managed to render huge 84k textures in V-Ray without a problem. Memory obviously becomes an issue, but not an insurmountable one.
                      Last edited by tuomas; 02-07-2014, 06:09 AM.
                      www.tuomaskankola.com
                      www.trollvfx.com

Comment

Originally posted by tuomas View Post
                        The actual texturing is often done in dedicated packages like Mari, meaning you really don't need to see the textures in Maya's viewport. If you really need to, you can always use lower resolution versions while working and just replace them when it's time to render.

We also don't generate our textures in Maya!!! And for sure you should see your textures. One has to judge them in context with other assets, in animation ...
                        And I fear "just replace them when it's time to render" - means a lot of unnecessary work. That's what we are doing at the moment - generating two versions and flipping them pre-render.

Other packages can handle much larger resolutions. And since autodesk doesn't respond to my inquires I thought - cause we use vray a lot - if chaosgroup can write a new file-node that bypasses the maya's native one.

Comment

if chaosgroup can write a new file-node that bypasses the maya's native one.
                          The File node is a bit special in that it is tightly integrated into Maya for viewports and other stuff. We could probably roll out our own, but it would be one more thing to support and will probably introduce its own set of issues.

On a side note, it is interesting that recently many people turn to us to try and code work-arounds for deficiencies in the main products (Max, Maya etc). Sometimes this makes sense and we will do that, but it takes away resources from V-Ray as a renderer. And at the end of the day, when the next-gen renderers pop up, no-one will care that V-Ray had that one additional File node replacement.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

We also don't generate our textures in Maya!!! And for sure you should see your textures. One has to judge them in context with other assets, in animation ...
                            And I fear "just replace them when it's time to render" - means a lot of unnecessary work. That's what we are doing at the moment - generating two versions and flipping them pre-render.
                            I'm not defending Maya's shortcomings, just noting that there's workarounds. And like vlado said, how much time should Chaos Group dedicate to fixing issues that are really on Autodesk's turf?
                            www.tuomaskankola.com
                            www.trollvfx.com

Comment

Working...
                            X