VRay Stochastic Flake Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay Stochastic Flake Size

Love the Stochastic flakes, but I feel it's missing an option to control the flake size. I find myself wanting to apply a sparse amount of tiny flakes using the Triplanar from Object XYZ mapping type. Only way I can seem to get the individual flake size small enough is to pump up the flake scale to 200. Even when turning the number of flakes to 1 there are still too many.

Sure I could blend mask with a noise texture of sorts, but it would be nice to have this ability out of the gate within the flakes (like the original Vray Flakes if I'm not mistaken). Also, I'm working at correct scale in Maya.

Best,
    Clayton

Currently, the flakes don't have size, because the mathematical model is idealized. Each flake represents portion of the surface. We have some ideas to introduce flake size in the model, but we haven't implemented anything.

Best regards,
    Asen

Comment

Originally posted by asen.atanasov View Post
      Currently, the flakes don't have size, because the mathematical model is idealized. Each flake represents portion of the surface. We have some ideas to introduce flake size in the model, but we haven't implemented anything.

Best regards,
      Asen
      Alright! Thank you for the reply. The Stochastic flakes work better (imo) than the original flakes. It's impressive to get that occasional glint/sparkle periodically on the surface of your model (like snow). I hope to see flake size introduced in the future!

One more thing too, it seems as if the Stochastic flake "alpha" isn't working very well. When used in conjunction with a blend material, the space between the flakes are being affected by the flake layer. So even if the flakes are large enough to easily distinguish each flake by one another, the space in-between the flakes is affecting the base material.

If my babble above didn't make much sense let me know and I'll attempt to explain it another way with reference photos.

Best,
      Clayton

Comment

Yes, you are right. It make sense and this is related again to the flakes size. Actually, this model is intended to work for large number of flakes and the flakes layer is not transparent. If we introduce flake size, then we will know how much surface area they cover and will know how transparent the material is. It will take some research.

Best regards,
        Asen

Comment

Working...
        X