Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pause/resume IPR possible?

Hi guys,

It would be great if IPR can have a feature to pause/resume when users want to do bigger or multiple scene edits with better UI response. Also, if it can be implemented, I hope it is implemented as the following.

1) not taking more than 2~3 second to pause and resume even in a fairly complex scene
    2) after IPR is resumed, it takes all scene edits, including texture changes, and reflect the updates with user force-refresh IPR.

I am using maya. In 3.4, scenes start rendering faster with progressive + cached geo/texture than starting an IPR or force-refresh IPR. Didn't measure it but that is how I feel in general.
    It would be really great if the resume of IPR takes account all scene edits so users don't have to force-refresh or re-start IPR to wait for the longer scene translation time. During look-dev and lighting, I would like to see fast responsive iterations after scene editing without scene translation breaks. The less time I spend on waiting for scene translations, either due to start/re-start or force-refresh IPR, the better.

Thanks,
    Jason
    always curious...

Actually we do support pause and resume for IPR through the buttons in the Maya render view. However we don't have buttons for this in the V-Ray VFB, even though all the required functionality is there. It is on the "to do" list to add them.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      Actually we do support pause and resume for IPR through the buttons in the Maya render view. However we don't have buttons for this in the V-Ray VFB, even though all the required functionality is there. It is on the "to do" list to add them.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      That's great, Vlado. Will check it out through Maya Render View. When you said "all the required functionality is there", does that mean the two features I posted in the #1 post? I guess I can simply test out but would like to hear a quick confirmation from you.

Thanks,
      Jason
      always curious...

Comment

It would depend on the changes that you did to the scene. If you modified heavy geometry objects, it might take some time to update. The upcoming in-process IPR will make this process faster.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

The upcoming in-process IPR will make this process faster.
          Excited to learn this.

Will the in-process IPR (or even the current IPR) support texture updates (including change file paths) after it is resumed from pause?

Can/Will the in-process IPR (or even the current IPR) support geo/texture cache? Though I suppose if pause/resume is robust, I don't mind the initial wait of IPR kick-off for texture loading and scene translation then.

Any place in the documentation or on the forum where we can learn the major difference between the current IPR and in-process IPR?

Thanks,
          Jason
          always curious...

Comment

Originally posted by jasonhuang1115 View Post
            Will the in-process IPR (or even the current IPR) support texture updates (including change file paths) after it is resumed from pause?
            Yes, it should.

Can/Will the in-process IPR (or even the current IPR) support geo/texture cache? Though I suppose if pause/resume is robust, I don't mind the initial wait of IPR kick-off for texture loading and scene translation then.
            It should work, yes.

Any place in the documentation or on the forum where we can learn the major difference between the current IPR and in-process IPR?
            From the users' point of view, the differences are that there is no additional command-line window popping up, and hopefully faster IPR start and more responsiveness.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Yes, it should.

It should work, yes.

From the users' point of view, the differences are that there is no additional command-line window popping up, and hopefully faster IPR start and more responsiveness.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Thanks Vlado. I did some simple tests with the pause/resume function through Maya Render View and it works. Think I will use that feature more often now. Hope to see the pause/resume button added to VFB at some point.
              Last edited by jasonhuang1115; 13-01-2017, 05:25 PM.
              always curious...

Comment

Hey Vlado and devs,

Would it be possible to see the pause/resume button added to VFB for 3.5?

Thanks.
                always curious...

Comment

Yes, we'll have it for 3.5.
                  V-Ray for Maya dev team lead

Comment

Originally posted by Mihail.Djurev View Post
                    Yes, we'll have it for 3.5.
                    Sweet! Thanks for the confirmation.
                    always curious...

Comment

Working...