Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wish: VP2.0 reflections of HDR (like Arnold in Maya 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish: VP2.0 reflections of HDR (like Arnold in Maya 2017)

Dear ChaosGroup

Its would be awesome if V-Ray's materials reflected the HDR that's in the V-Ray lightdome. EG how Maya 2017 / Arnold does it.

A lot of the time we're working with metal objects, and it sucks they're almost completely black.

Bruce Allen
    Senior Theatrical Designer & TD - mOcean

It's on our to-do list, but we haven't got there yet.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
      It's on our to-do list, but we haven't got there yet.
      Nice! Will this happen with other materials too that won't have 100% reflection....plastics, windows etc?

I also think that it would be handy that if the scene didn't have a HDRI if it could also reflect the sun + sky (at least as a basic color ramp). Not sure how possible that is though!

Edit: Also too xray mode in the viewport would be a welcome addition as I miss that when working with VRay.
      Last edited by snivlem; 28-05-2017, 10:21 PM.
      Maya 2020/2022
      Win 10x64
      Vray 5

Comment

I suppose that all reflections should work, but it's too early to tell.
        Btw, what do you mean about the xray mode? Can you give me an example where it doesn't work?
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        www.chaos.com

Comment

XRay mode only works in the viewport. Basically shaders become transparent but V-Ray shaders don't. Try pressing this button here but with a scene of lamberts and phongs.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	2017-06-07 14_44_56-Calculator.jpg Views:	1 Size:	12.4 KB ID:	955108

It's useful in modelling purposes, for instance when xray mode is active in maya's viewport, you can select verts from the other side of the model. But it isn't possible with V-Ray and VP2.0

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-07 14_49_17-Autodesk Maya 2017_ K__Library_Maya_modelBank_appliances_electronic_speakers_BO..jpg
Views:	66
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	955109

Last edited by snivlem; 06-06-2017, 09:51 PM.
          Maya 2020/2022
          Win 10x64
          Vray 5

Comment

I see. Thanks for the info, I'll make a note for the devs
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Hi,

I tried the latest nightly stable 3.6 and it seems this feature for the OP was integrated. But with a regular old HDRI exr I'm getting some pretty extreme blowouts and fireflies. Is there a way to clamp the output in the viewport because it seems as if reducing the Color Gain doesn't do anything.

Attached Files
              Maya 2020/2022
              Win 10x64
              Vray 5

Comment

In another view, a material with 10% reflectivity demonstrates why it's a problem. THe material is metal so I've turned off fresnel but it makes it really difficult to work with in the viewport due to the mesh being "overexposed".

Edit: Maybe the solution would be that if we slide the "exposures" slider on the file2D node of the HDRI, it will then also update in the viewport?

Attached Files
                Maya 2020/2022
                Win 10x64
                Vray 5

Comment

Thanks for the input, we'll see what can be done about that.
                  Alex Yolov
                  Product Manager
                  www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                  X