V-Ray alSurface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pionier View Post
    Nope, I still can't make it look right, PBR Metal Rough preset have also Metalic map, did you use it?

I attached two images to illustrate how my setup is looking, both in vray ggx and vray al shader.
    Or maybe setup it correctly and this how it suppose to look like
    Hey Peter btw, what workflow do you have for yours Painter projects used in V-Ray ? One TextureSet per material or UDIM system ?

Comment

Hey John,
      at the moment I use one textureset per material, only because I didn't have time to try UDIM system, and you?
      Peter Kolus
      Senior 3D artist / CG Generalist
      www.peterkolus.com

Comment

I tried both ways. UDIM is more interesting when you a have lot of different parts and need hi-res textures, because you can load the entire set of maps in just few clicks. But it's not a real UDIM system ( when you can split your mesh in tiny pieces and paint on it accross UV sets seamlessly, like with Mari).

Texture Set mode is interesting when you have few materials but it's really a pain when you have a lot of part, 4/5 maps to load for each, could become really tedious.

Ultimately, I was not always convinced by the look of my materials designed in Painter and found the workflow too slow for a regular use. So I came with the idea of doing materials directly in Modo like before, store it in my mat lib and just paint the mask in Painter if I need a more advanced look. So I can use the material as is in Modo or in a more advanced way, without having to store 4/5 maps * materials * objects.

Comment

The alsurface might be a good replacement for many vray materials! Only thing missing is refractive stuff and ggx tail falloff. Interesting in the future is how the refractive component will play with the sss, for orange juice type of materials and semitransparent objects.

best
          cv

Comment

Hi V-Ray team

Is there any presets for alSurface ?
            Thanks
            Phil
            Last edited by wireframeX; 13-04-2018, 03:27 AM.
            Main computer : Threadripper 2990WX - 2 x GForce 1080 8Go - 1 GTX 1070 8Go - 64 Go
            Softimage 2015 x64 | Lightwave 2020 | modo v14

Comment

Working...
            X