Material and item picking in the VFB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material and item picking in the VFB

This will be in tomorrow's nightly build.

Here are some videos showing it:
    https://youtu.be/OSpwKm_5yO8
    https://youtu.be/ZrK5nBk-DoU

Some more info:

- Left Click - select item and locate it in item list
    + Shift - add to selection
    + Ctrl - remove from selection

- Left Click - select next material item affecting picked polygon from top to bottom of ST (ignores overridden material items)
    When the bottom-most material item is selected, cycle to the top-most.
    + Ctrl - remove from selection (from bottom to top of ST)

- Left Double Click - select all shader tree layers affecting picked polygon (doesn't ignore overridden layers)
    + Ctrl - remove from selection

Left Double Click no longer resets VFB image zoom if material or item picking is active.
    Instead there is an entry in the right-click menu. Also the * key on the numpad can be used.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Thanks Vladimir! It's working quite well.

I'm happy to see it on by default too. I assumed we would have to toggle it on and off.
    Win10 Pro 64 / AMD Ryzen 9 5950X / 128GB / RTX 3090 + 1080 Ti / MODO
    I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ

Comment

Tomorrow's nightly build ( the one from 2017.05.10 ) adds the ability to pick the focus distance used for the DOF effect.

Here is a short clip demonstrating the feature : https://youtu.be/ZebVMELpzys

In more detail:
      Ctrl + Shift + Left click to pick focus distance.
      Ctrl + Shift + Mouse Wheel to change de-focus amount. This modifies the f-stop. If using a V-Ray Physical Camera it also applies exposure compensation to the shutter speed.
      Ctrl + Mouse Wheel to change shutter speed.

Note that you can use the focus picking to enable DOF as well, since it will ask you for this.
      Also changing the shutter speed requires a V-Ray Physical Camera, so you can use it to add the V-Ray Physical Camera package without selecting the render camera.

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Wow Vladimir, this is awesome.

This really gives us so much artistic control over DOF. I have been in a lot of betas and given feeback for a lot of software development, but I have to say that I have not ever encountered a developer who has the users needs so much in mind!

Comment

Thanks Vladimir. It's working great! It's good to see this goes beyond what modo does (focus only) and includes f-stop and shutter speed control.

The only thing I find a little odd is that you've included right click menu options that are always disabled. At first I was trying to use the menus until I realised it's only there to document the shortcuts
          Last edited by 1funk; 09-05-2017, 10:42 PM.
          I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
            This modifies the f-stop. If using a V-Ray Physical Camera it also applies exposure compensation to the shutter speed
            I'm not very experienced with animation, but doesnt the shutter speed affect motion blur? Wouldn't it make more sense to adjust the ISO instead?

Comment

Yes that indeed is a good point. I agree - Vladimir, it would be great if you would compensate with ISO and not shutter speed.

Cheers,
              Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by 1funk View Post
                Thanks Vladimir. It's working great! It's good to see this goes beyond what modo does (focus only) and includes f-stop and shutter speed control.
                I bought a digital camera recently which inspired me to add these controls. The values that the scroll wheel sets for F-Stop and Shutter Speed are the same that cameras have.

I'm not very experienced with animation, but doesnt the shutter speed affect motion blur? Wouldn't it make more sense to adjust the ISO instead?
                I am not an expert in photography, but from what I understand the ISO is something you modify only when the light in the scene is very very dim, since increasing it causes noise in the photo.
                And digital cameras usually allow you to set it to only very specific values - 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1600.

Greetings,
                Vladimir Nedev
                Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 10-05-2017, 05:42 AM.

Comment

It seems not to work if you have Material set to PartId.. I mean picking.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    It seems not to work if you have Material set to PartId.. I mean picking.
                    In theory it should be working in this case too.
                    I will need a scene and instructions what's not getting picked.

Currently there is an issue if an invisible area light or a V-Ray clipper is in front of the geometry you want to pick. Need to fix these as soon as possible.

Greetings,
                    Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
                      Tomorrow's nightly build ( the one from 2017.05.10 ) adds the ability to pick the focus distance used for the DOF effect.

Here is a short clip demonstrating the feature : https://youtu.be/ZebVMELpzys

In more detail:
                      Ctrl + Shift + Left click to pick focus distance.
                      Ctrl + Shift + Mouse Wheel to change de-focus amount. This modifies the f-stop. If using a V-Ray Physical Camera it also applies exposure compensation to the shutter speed.
                      Ctrl + Mouse Wheel to change shutter speed.

Note that you can use the focus picking to enable DOF as well, since it will ask you for this.
                      Also changing the shutter speed requires a V-Ray Physical Camera, so you can use it to add the V-Ray Physical Camera package without selecting the render camera.

Greetings,
                      Vladimir Nedev
                      I have just completed a video and can try the new nightly again. This is really great! Thanks for all these small improvements, it really make vray stand out!

Comment

The 2017.05.24 nightly build should fix the issue where items/materials are not getting picked when an invisible area light or a V-Ray Clipper is in front of them.

Still a V-Ray Clipper will create some problems with picking. If objects are completely clipped, they will still be picked even though they are not visible in the render.
                        Similarly, if an object is partially clipped, focus picking will take an incorrect distance. Fixing these issues won't be particularly easy, so hopefully they won't be too much of a problem.

Greetings,
                        Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Working...
                        X